As a supporter of both Israeli and Palestinian rights to freedom and sovereignty, I am constantly appalled by the violence, as well as the wanton lies and exploitation, by both sides. The Israelis though can take comfort that they are not saddled by the idiots that the Palestinians have to put up with. These idiots continuously diminish the Palestinian cause with their constant barrage of lies. As if there is no truth worth telling?
Take this case of the 16-year old Marah al-Bakri who was shot by the Israelis on the 12th of October for allegedly stabbing a border policeman near Ammunition Hill in Jerusalem. The fact that a 16-year old girl was shot is shocking enough to generate outrage, even though she allegedly stabbed a policeman first.
But no, these idiots had to change the story to something else altogether. Even worse, they changed it to something petty – the tudung (headscarf). Take a look at what was recently posted on Facebook about her.
Marah al-Bakri Was Killed For Wearing The Headscarf?
This Facebook post has gone viral, shared by thousands of people. It claims that Marah al-Bakri was shot 5 times and killed after she ran across the road to get away from Israelis who were trying to tear off her headscarf.
Here is the English translation of the Malay post :
That is certainly outrageous! Imagine killing a girl simply because she was wearing a headscarf. If Muslims around the world can call for a boycott of Zara after one security guard denied entry to a hijab-wearing customer, this should push Muslims to boycott Israel! But wait – aren’t they already doing that??? Duh!
The comments by those who shared the post were invariably limited to the same themes :
- She sacrificed her life defending her honour
- She sacrificed her life to defend her faith / Islam
- The Zionists have no respect for other religions
- Go to hell, evil Jews / Jewish bastards!
- This Palestinian girl died defending her aurat. How many other Muslim women will do the same?
The Truth About Marah al-Bakri
Not a lot is known about this incident, because this is one of the many incidences that occurred during the Knife Intifada in the last months of 2015. The Israeli authorities have tried to limit coverage of these incidences to reduce the possibility of copycat attacks. But here are the facts that we were able to discover from our research :
- Marah al-Bakri was a 16-year old student of the Abdullah bin Hussein School for Girls in the al-Sheikh Jarrah area.
- At around 2:15 pm on the 12th of October, 2015, Marah al-Bakri stabbed a border police officer near the Ammunition Hill light rail stop in Jerusalem.
- Another police officer at the scene shot Marah al-Bakri.
- The stabbing occurred near the Jerusalem police headquarters, so Israeli police officers were able to quickly respond to the attack.
- They cordoned off the area, and allegedly arrested a man at the scene too. He can be seen being detained in the video footage of the incident.
- The officer who was stabbed suffered light-to-moderate injuries, with another Israeli injured as well.
- Marah al-Bakri was seriously injured by the shooting and hospitalised. As far as we know, she’s still alive.
An Alternate Possibility
There is an alternate story that partially contradicts the facts above. It claims that :
- Marah al-Bakri was walking home from school with a friend, when they were harassed by an Israeli settler.
- For some reason, the Israeli settler shot and seriously injured her.
- After the shooting occurred, she was surrounded by the Israeli police, possibly because they assumed she attacked the settler.
- A young man (probably the settler) was later arrested by the Israeli police.
If this unofficial story is true, then it would tally with the account above that also referred to a man being arrested after the incident. The official account still maintains that she stabbed a border policeman.
Please Stop Lying
As a supporter of Palestinian right to self-rule and independence, I am constantly dismayed by the inanity of many pro-Palestinian supporters. The Palestinian cause is a noble one, a just one; but they chose to disparage it by spreading lies.
In Islam, a false accusation is said to be the most wicked of crimes. Here are selected quotes from the Quran on lying and making false accusations :
“The curse of Allah be upon him if he should be among the liars.” [Quran 24:7]
“Indeed Allah does not guide one who is a transgressor and a liar.” [Quran 40:28]
“Do not mix the truth with falsehood or conceal the truth while you know [it].” [Quran 2:42]
So the next time you think about lying for the Palestinian cause, please reconsider it. Lying is not only a sin, it also hurts the Palestinian cause in the long run. Don’t be stupid!
If you like our work, you can help support out work by visiting our sponsors, or even donate to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!