Scammers are now trying to cheat people with the Alliance Bank and CIMB phone scam, so please alert your family and friends!
Our friend, Dashken Chan, personally experienced it. He shared his experience (and voice recording) with us to help warn everyone about this phone scam.
Please share this out to help save other people from being scammed!
Don’t forget to check out our coverage of the Maybank Personal Loan Scam too!
The Alliance Bank Phone Scam
Dashken was targeted by the scammer on the morning of 23 August 2017. Fortunately, he was quick to realise it was a phone scam. Check out his original post :
Just received call from “Alliance Bank” +60320643333. Knows my name and ic number.
When I asked for my address, he said Pulau Pinang.
I asked him whether it’s a scam, he said it’s notification that I haven’t been paying my loan for 3 months.
When I raised my voice and asked for my address again, at least the name of my neighbourhood.
He felt uneasy and shot back why I was raising my voice and that he doesn’t have to be spoken that way, etc. And hung up… ???
I haven’t in my life stepped into Alliance Bank before. Hmm…
He shared with us a voice recording of the call, which we made into a video with subtitles :
He also shared that he was in a hurry to work. Or else he would have played along with the scammer, instead of calling him out as a scammer so soon.
Wasting the scammer’s time is a great way to reduce the opportunities they have to find their victims. The other way – sharing this article, so more people are aware of these scams!
The Scam Used A Spoofed Phone Number
Dashken shared a screenshot of the call, which lasted just under 3 minutes, because the scammer got fed up and hung up.
After that call ended, he tried calling the number, and found that it was the actual Alliance Bank customer service number.
After the call, I called up the number and was received by the auto answering machine of alliance bank.
So, I checked the phone number on Google and found it’s listed on alliance bank website as the customer service number.
I called again and talked to the customer service, told them the story, etc. And requested to check whether I have any savings or loan account with them.
He asked for my ic number and checked. Nothing came up. ?
It is obvious that they were using VOIP calls, allowing them to spoof the Caller ID with ease. Even so, the telco can trace the real origin of the call.
That would require a warrant from the police. We hope the PDRM will look into the matter and try tracing the call.
Banks should also be more proactive. They can install trap lines that use Automatic Number Identification to detect the actual telephone number, instead of relying on Caller ID.
Perhaps this is something Bank Negara should look into. They need to actively pursue these scammers, instead of just advising people they have been scammed… after they report being scammed.
The CIMB Phone Scam
This was shared by our friend Chiew JO. It was a personal account by her friend, who was targeted by this scam recently :
Today morning , I received a Tel call . He confirms my name.
This person claiming that he is from Mahkamah Johor (Johor Court) that I had CIMB credit card huge outstanding and all my others bank account frozen by the court as file by CIMB. He told me CIMB already ask the court issue warrant of arrest to catch me.
Firstly, I didn’t own any CIMB credit card and CIMB bank account. Guarantee is a scammer call.
This conversation last for 10 second conversation, I remain quiet listening and didn’t speak at all. Because I am afraid they copied by voice call.
Upon suspicious and i knew he is a scammer , I told him u called wrong Tel no and wrong person too. And immediately disconnected the line.
The scammer Tel is 072212022.
Friends, be Careful to this Tel no contact. And choose to answer unknown call cautiously. Don’t hang on the line too long as they might steal yr memory and data informations.
Again, the telephone number is most likely a spoofed number. So there is no use in trying to call it back. Just be wary of such calls… and NEVER call them back. Always look up the bank’s actual contact number and call them directly.
Share & Warn Everyone!
This scam has the potential to cost the victim a few thousand ringgit. So please warn your family and friends about this scam. Share this article as widely as possible.
And if you receive a similar call, please report it to Maybank, Bank Negara and the police.
- No, Robin Cook Did Not Say There Is No Al-Qaeda!
- Facebook Scam : Friends Asking To Borrow Money
- The Bangladeshi Malaysian Hoax Debunked!
- The Robbery Using Fake TNB Notice Debunked!
- Watch Out For This Maybank Personal Loan Scam!
- Did The Germans Abandon Cars To Protest Fuel Price?
- The Public Bank SMS Scam Exposed! Read + SHARE!
- The Pedigree Dog Adoption Scam Debunked! Read + SHARE!
- Kinder Joy Wax Coating Causes Cancer? Let’s Find Out!
- Does Sir Mean Slave I Remain? Let’s Find Out!
- The Hugh Jackman X-Men Comic Robbery Hoax Debunked!
- Watch Out For This Maybank Personal Loan Scam!
- The Secret Of Coating Fried Food In Plastic Revealed!
- Dabbing : Does It Turn Teenagers Into Devil Worshippers?
- The Shanghai Disneyland Robot Dancer Hoax Debunked!
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked!
- The Famous Jesus Tree Of Lebanon Miracle Explained!
- The Canola Oil Bullshit By Anya Vien Debunked!
- The Zota Tissue Paper Tablet Scare – The Truth & Facts!
- Steve Jobs’ Last Words – The Hoax & The Truth!
- The Brazilian Pastor’s Holy Milk Hoax Debunked!
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Did Al Franken Get A Jew Call Warning Of 9/11 Attacks?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
Go Back To > Hoaxes & Scams! | Home
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!
Pingback: Watch Out For The Maybank Personal Loan Scam! - The Rojak Pot
Pingback: The Public Bank SMS Scam Exposed! - The Rojak Pot
Pingback: The Islamic Rage Boy Is A Mossad Agent Hoax Debunked! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: Is RON 100 Petrol Worth The Price Premium? | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: The Hillary Clinton Affair With Yoko Ono Debunked! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: How To Disable Takata Airbags + Why You Should NOT Do It! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Dramatic Escape From Major Genting Highlands Landslide! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Why You Can't Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Public Bank : Fake SMS Scam! Do NOT Click / Call! | Tech ARP
Pingback: Scam Alert : Fake Public Bank SMS Messages! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: Fake CIMB SMS Scam! Do NOT Click / Call! | Tech ARP