Scammers are already targeting the recently-announced Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) cash assistance from the Malaysian government.
Watch out for FAKE SMS messages that ask for your details to receive your BPN cash assistance!
Bantuan Prihatin Nasional : What Is BPN?
The Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) is a one-time cash assistance by the Malaysian government to help citizens take on the COVID-19 crisis.
It gives singles up to RM 800, and families up to RM 1,600 in cash assistance, depending on their circumstances :
RM 2,000 or less
RM 4,000 or less
RM 2,001 to RM 4,000
RM 4,001 to RM 8,000
|RM 800||RM 1,600||RM 500||RM 1,000|
|Payments||April : RM 500
May : RM 300
|April : RM 1,000
May : RM 600
|April : RM 250
May : RM 250
|April : RM 500
May : RM 500
|Directedly to bank account
registered with BSP
|Directedly to bank account
registered with :HDN
Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) SMS Scam
Malaysians are, no doubt, eager to get the cash assistance, which is why the website for checking their status was inaccessible for days.
That led the government to change tack – they will inform those who qualify by SMS messages.
However, scammers latched onto that idea, and started sending out these FAKE SMS messages, asking for banking information to send the cash assistance.
Check out these examples, and note how they would ask for your banking login and password!
Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) SMS Scam Debunked!
Never Give Anyone Your Login ID Or Password!
First of all, always remember the golden rule of online safety :
No legitimate organisation, not even your bank or the government, will EVER ask you for your login ID or password or TAC number.
If you ever receive a message, even from what appears to be a trustworthy friend or a representative of the government or your bank, asking for any of those information, JUST IGNORE IT.
The Official SMS Is Only A Notification
The Malaysian government will only send an SMS message to those who qualify for Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN).
If you do not meet the requirements, you will never receive such a notification. This is what the official SMS looks like.
It states very clearly that :
Only Two Valid SMS Numbers
LHDN issued a notification that they will only use two SMS numbers 62000 and 63833 to send you BPN messages.
If you receive BPN-related messages from any other number, please IGNORE THEM.
The Money Goes Directly Into Your Bank Account
If you have already registered your bank account with the Malaysian Income Tax Department (LHDN), or the government’s BSP (Bantuan Sara Hidup) program, the money will go directly into your bank account.
You do not have to contact LHDN or anyone. They will certainly not ask you for your bank login details. Easy peasy!
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Avoid suspected cases or disease hotpots, like hospitals, if possible!
- Avoid public events and crowds
- Keep our hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep our home, office, vehicles, etc. clean
- If you need to wear a surgical mask, make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : COVID-19 : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
- COVID-19 : How To DIY Your Own Face Shields!
- 600-Bed MAEPS COVID-19 Hospital : An Inside Look!
- COVID-19 : Menara City One Under Enhanced MCO!
- 6-Month Loan Moratorium : Why You Should TAKE It!
- COVID-19 : Hulu Langat Area Under Enhanced MCO!
- COVID-19 Found On Fruits & Vegetables Hoax Debunked!
- MAEPS Converted Into 500-Bed COVID-19 Hospital
- COVID-19 : Simpang Renggam Under Enhanced MCO!
- Harvard : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
- BNM Hire Purchase Loan Deferment : Nothing To Lose!
- BNM Credit Card Term Loan Conversion : Worth It?
- BNM Loan Moratorium / Deferment : Should You Accept It?
- Did Dr. Li Wenliang Discover Tea As COVID-19 Cure?
- COVID-19 : Chloroquine Poisoning Kills One, Injures Others
- No, Alcohol In Hand Sanitiser Won’t Catch Fire!
- A Dark Day For Malaysia : HTF Doctor Dies From COVID-19
- US FDA Did NOT Approve Chloroquine For COVID-19 Yet
- What Happens When A Suspected COVID-19 Case Lies!
- MYEG COVID-19 Rapid Test : Genuine But NOT Approved Yet!
- What Happens When A COVID-19 Close Contact Lies!
- Tom Hanks Did NOT Die From COVID-19 : Hoax Debunked!
- American Soldier On Train Is Patient Zero Hoax Debunked!
- Donald Trump Fainted From Coronavirus Hoax Debunked!
- Tabligh Participant Shamed Into Getting Tested For COVID-19!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
- MYEG COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Fake?
- COVID-19 Fake News : UNHCR Refugees Refusing Tests!
- MBPJ : Food Outlets Open With Conditions During Lockdown!
- Malaysia COVID-19 Lockdown : Frequently Asked Questions!
- Malaysia NATIONWIDE COVID-19 Restrictions : Full Details!
- COVID-19 : This Tabligh Participant Refused To Be Tested?
- COVID-19 : Almost 5000 Tabligh Participants Tested!
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!