Did a Chinese man get assaulted in New York City over anti-Chinese sentiments and COVID-19 racism?
Find out what happened, and what the facts really are!
Claim : Chinese Man Attacked In NYC Over COVID-19 Racism
In the graphic video, which we will not show, a Chinese man can be seen being assaulted in broad daylight in New York City.
Instead, we will share these three screenshots, with the HOAX overlay to prevent further misuse :
The video is accompanied by this message :
Very sad and very angry.
The evil of the West, particularly the Americans, to blaming the Covid-19 on China, has begun spreading anti-Chinese feeling across the Western societies.
Chinese Man Attacked Over COVID-19 Racism : TLDR Summary
For those who just want the short and sweet answers :
- The video is genuine, recording the assault of a Chinese man in New York City
- The incident happened in 2016 and had NOTHING to do with COVID-19 or anti-Chinese sentiment
- The assailant was a drunk immigrant, not an American citizen
- He was arrested by a police officer and jailed for two years, before being deported
This is most definitely NOT a case of COVID-19 racism, which is real, as this incident demonstrates : COVID-19 Racists Attacked Student On Oxford Street!
Chinese Man Attacked Over COVID-19 Racism : The Facts
Here is a detailed examination of the case, and why we know it’s a hoax :
Fact #1 : The Video Is Genuine
First, we should acknowledge that the video is genuine, and was not doctored in any way.
It truly shows a Chinese man being beaten in broad daylight in New York City.
Fact #2 : The Incident Happened In 2016
The assault did not happen recently, but in mid April 2016 – almost four years before COVID-19 racism started becoming a thing.
Fact #3 : The Officers With White Hats Are Traffic Enforcement Agents
The hoax claims that New York police officers (with white caps) stood by while the Chinese man was assaulted.
It is true that the uniformed officers did not interfere, but that’s because they are really NYPD Traffic Enforcement Agents, who do not have the right to arrest anyone.
Just 2 minutes into the video, you can see a police officer arrive, and he promptly arrested the assailant.
Fact #4 : Another Man Did Intervene
The hoax claimed that no one intervened, not even the Chinese bystanders.
The fact of the matter is, just 20 seconds into the video, another Chinese man can seen intervening.
And arguably, the Traffic Enforcement Agents can be seen about a minute into the video, stepping between the two men.
Fact #5 : The Assailant Isn’t Even American
The assailant, identified as Moises “Montress” Gomez, isn’t even American. He was an immigrant who just arrived in New York City.
Fact #6 : The Assailant Was Drunk
According to a report of the incident, Gomez was drunk (allegedly with a tequila shooter and four large beers) when he entered the Carol’s Bun restaurant at 139 East Broadway.
He threw a tantrum when he was asked to leave, flipping the bird and punching a wall. Gomez finally left when the victim, Mr. Wong, called the police.
Wong then followed him out, and flagged the traffic police for help. That was when Gomez attacked him from behind.
Fact #6 : Gomez Was Jailed + Deported
In March 2017, Judge Mark Dwyer sentenced Gomez to two years in jail, with an additional three years of probation.
However, the probation was moot because ICE will deport him at the end of his jail sentence.
- Bank Negara Hire Purchase Loan Deferment : What Changed?
- Fact Check : UNHCR Driving Licence For Malaysia
- Kim Clement : Kim Jong-un Death Prophesy Failed Again
- Sitti Hikmawatty Fired Over Sperm In Swimming Pool Claim
- Fact Check : SGH Bills $192,068 For COVID-19 Treatment
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Confident USA Created COVID-19!
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Says COVID-19 Created By China!
- Fact Check : Fox News Hot Mic Leaks COVID-19 Hoax + Vaccine
- Trump Gang Vaccinated Against COVID-19 Hoax Debunked!
- How To Open A Pre-Cut Coconut, The Easy Way!
- Is COVID-19 An Airborne Virus? Here Are The Facts!
- Ji Shan Foundation Charity Scam Exposed!
- Charity Scam : Current List Of 79 Reported Scammers!
- How To Get + Pay Your TNB Bill During COVID-19 MCO
- Face Mask Recycling Scammers Exposed!
- New York Accidental Cremation Hoax Debunked!
- Why Face Masks Are CRITICAL To Prevent COVID-19
- Doctor Died Taking Hydroxychloroquine To Prevent COVID-19
- McDonald’s Malaysia Voucher Scam EXPOSED!
- #FilmYourHospital : Empty Hospitals Hoax Debunked!
- Anti-Lockdown Gathering Of Muslim Migrants Debunked!
- Thai King Died From COVID-19 Hoax Debunked!
- CNBC COVID-19 Airborne Hoax Debunked!
- Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) : SMS Scam Alert
- COVID-19 : How To DIY Your Own Face Shields!
- Bomohs Combine Powers To Trap COVID-19 Toyol!
- Did This Malaysian Student Die From COVID-19 In London?
- 6-Month Loan Moratorium : Why You Should TAKE It!
- COVID-19 Found On Fruits & Vegetables Hoax Debunked!
- Harvard : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
If you like our work, support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!