The MCO SOP for Chinese New Year that was just announced lacks common sense, or an understanding of Chinese culture.
Take a look at the Chinese New Year SOP, and see for yourself why it really doesn’t make much sense…
Chinese New Year : SOP For MCO Areas
Here is the SOP that was just released for the celebration of Chinese New Year in MCO areas – basically all of Malaysia, except Sarawak.
MKN just issued an updated SOP for Chinese New Year : Here Is The Updated Chinese New Year SOP For Malaysia!
Why The Chinese New Year SOP Lacks Common Sense!
Now, let us share with you why the Chinese New Year SOP lacks common sense, or an understanding of Chinese culture.
Reason #1 : Chinese New Year Lasts 15 Days
Chinese New Year actually lasts 15 days, ending with the Lantern Festival. But in reality, it lasts 16 days, because it actually kicks off on the eve.
But the point is that if the SOP only covers the first two days, then it cannot apply to the Tanglung (Lantern) Festival, which takes place on the last day (15th day) of Chinese New Year!
Neither would the SOP apply to the Chingay Parade, which happens on the 21st day of the Lunar New Year in Johor Bahru, 12 December 2021 in Penang island and 19 December 2021 in Prai, Penang.
Reason #2 : Family Reunion Dinner Is On CNY Eve!
The family reunion dinner happens not on the first or second day of Chinese New Year, but on its eve – the night before!
Technically, Malaysians will not be flouting the SOP if they gather on the eve (11 February 2021) for their family reunion dinner.
Also, it is only a reunion dinner if extended family members attend. Otherwise, it’s just a regular family dinner.
Reason #3 : Chinese New Year Eve Is A Cultural Event
Chinese New Year is a cultural event, not a religious event. It is celebrated by Chinese people of ALL religions, or none at all.
There is no requirement to attend church, visit a temple, or go to a mosque, on Chinese New Year.
So the SOP on religious gatherings or visits is really irrelevant, and shows their lack of understanding.
Reason #4 : Visitation In The Same Home Is Nonsensical
It is nonsensical to tell people living in the same house to visit each other.
They are already living together, they see each other every day!
Reason #5 : Capacity Limit In The Same House Is Nonsensical
It is also nonsensical to put an arbitrary limit of 20 people, when the SOP insists that they must all be living in the same house!
If they are all living in the same house, why does it matter if there are 5, 20, or 100 people?
Anyone sick with COVID-19 would have infected other members of the family, long before Chinese New Year!
Reason #6 : No Greeting Or Touching Family Members Is Nonsensical
It is nonsensical to insist that family members cannot greet or touch each other, when they are all LIVING IN THE SAME HOUSE!
How is that going to help prevent COVID-19 spread within the same house???
Does the government also expect husband and wife to sleep separately during the first two days of Chinese New Year?
Reason #7 : Physical Distancing In The Same House Is Nonsensical
This should have been obvious to our government officials – physical distancing in the same house is as asinine as physical distancing in a car.
Those living in the same house have already been in close contact for more than a year. How does it help to separate everyone by 1-2 metres for just two days during Chinese New Year?
- Here Is The Updated Chinese New Year SOP For Malaysia!
- 845 COVID-19 Deaths In Malaysia As Of 5 February 2021
- MCO / PKP 2.0 SOP : Updated @ 4 February 2021
- MCO 2.0 : Barber, Hair Saloon + Car Wash Allowed To Open!
- Hoax : Dr Noor Hisham Has Tendered His Resignation!
- Malaysia Will Get Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine On 26 Feb 2021!
- Malaysia MCO / PKP Extended To 18 Feb 2021!
- 52 Stricter MCO Rules For 6 Months : Just Another Hoax!
- Jaya Grocer Gardens Mall : Another COVID-19 Case!
- MCO / PKP 2.0 SOP : Updated @ 29 January 2021
- Business Hours Extended, Night Markets + Logging Allowed!
- Jaya Grocer DPulze : Multiple COVID-19 Cases!
- Village Grocer Bangsar : Closed After One COVID-19 Case!
- Stellar Putrajaya Temporarily Closes Due To MCO 2.0
- Malaysia To Vaccinate 9.2 Million With CoronaVac + Sputnik V!
- COVID-19 Vaccine Registration Through MySejahtera App
- MOE : All Students Study Online, Except For These Students
- MITI : These Business Sectors Can Operate During MCO
- MOE Directive On Schools In MCO, CMCO + RMCO Areas!
- Is This Amazing Female Dancer A Robot Created By China?
- Did The Second Penang Bridge Get Hit By Giant Waves?
- Can A Ringing Phone Cause A Gas Stove To Explode?
- Can You Cure A Heart Attack By Slapping The Elbow?
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
If you like our work, you can help support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!