Will the police fine you RM 1,000 for sitting next to the driver during the CMCO / PKPB lockdown?
Must the passenger sit behind the driver, for social distancing reasons, during the lockdown?
Take a look at the viral post, and find out what the facts really are!
Claim : RM1K Fine For Sitting Next To Driver During CMCO / PKPB?
This message went viral on WhatsApp, claiming that a passenger just got fined RM 1,000 for sitting next to the driver during the CMCO lockdown!
Note : We added the HOAX overlay to prevent the images from being further misused.
RM1K Fine For Sitting Next To Driver During CMCO / PKPB? Bullshit!
We have no idea who’s so free to create such bullshit, but yes, it’s BULLSHIT.
Fact #1 : Two Persons Are Allowed To Go Out Together
The Malaysian National Security Council (MKN) released these SOPs for three regions under CMCO / PKPB lockdown :
The three SOPs state clearly that two persons per household are allowed to go out together to purchase food and essentials.
Fact #2 : No New Limit On Commercial Vehicles
According to the MKN SOP, there is no new limit on vehicles carrying goods and providing essential services, including those involved in business and industrial activities.
The number of people in such vehicles are limited to what’s allowed by the commercial vehicle licence.
For example, if a delivery van is licensed for up to 3 people, then 3 people may sit together in that delivery van.
Fact #3 : Taxis + E-hailing Vehicles Can Ferry 2 Passengers
The MKN SOP specifically allows taxis and e-hailing vehicles to ferry 2 passengers.
That means a total of 3 people are allowed in a car, and two of them will definitely be sitting side by side.
So it would not be logical for the police to fine people for sitting side by side in any vehicle.
Fact #4 : No Requirement For A Passenger To Sit Behind The Driver
For the police to issue a fine, it must be specifically forbidden in the CMCO / PKPB SOP for two persons to sit side by side in a vehicle.
The CMCO / PKPB SOP does not specifically require the passenger to sit behind the driver, so it is not possible for the police to issue such a fine.
Fact #5 : The Man Was Fined For Not Socially Distancing In A Restaurant
My eagle-eyed friend, Jory, pointed out that the man was actually fined for not socially distancing himself in a restaurant.
We zoomed into the police summons, and you can see where the offence took place – Restoran Shada Maju, And you can see that the offence was for not social distancing in the restaurant.
On 14 October 2020, when the man was fined, the MKN SOPs stated that only two persons may sit at the same table in a restaurant.
The police is empowered to issue a RM 1,000 fine to those who flout this social distancing rule during the CMCO period.
It was only the next day – on 15 October 2020 – when Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced that larger tables in restaurants may seat up to 4 people at the same time.
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Avoid suspected cases or disease hotpots, like hospitals, if possible!
- Avoid public events and crowds
- Keep our hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep our home, office, vehicles, etc. clean
- If you need to wear a surgical mask, make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : COVID-19 : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- 1 Utama To Reopen 17 Oct, Tenants Reminded To Pay Rental
- 1 Utama Cluster : 132 COVID-19 Cases, Index Case Identified!
- Labuan Under CMCO / PKPB Lockdown On 17 October!
- 1 Utama Disputes COVID-19 Cases, Claims Just 21+1
- Official MKN SOP for KL, Selangor, Putrajaya CMCO / PKPB!
- Tesco Mutiara Damansara : Disinfected After COVID Exposure
- Sabah CMCO / PKPB : The Official MKN SOP!
- KL, Selangor, Putrajaya CMCO : Cross-State Travel SOP
- KL, Selangor, Putrajaya CMCO / PKPB : Official MKN SOP!
- MyGCC Confirms DBKL Issued Old CMCO (PKPB) Info!
- Menara Public Bank : Disinfected After COVID-19 Exposure
- These Kota Damansara Roads Are Closing For CMCO Lockdown!
- Origani Staff Confirmed NEGATIVE For COVID-19!
- The Curve Deep-Cleaned After Staff Positive For COVID-19
- Machines Mid Valley Closed Indefinitely After COVID-19 Case
- MBSB Sultan Ismail : Closed After COVID-19 Exposure!
- Maybank Bandar Puteri Puchong : Closed After COVID-19 Exposure
- 3 Damansara : Deep Cleaning After COVID-19 Case
- All Schools + Kindergartens To Close For 2 Weeks In Petaling!
- Mid Valley + Gardens : 3 Outlets Closed After COVID-19 Case
- Bangsar Shopping Centre : Closed For COVID-19 Cleaning!
- Dr. Chong Yit Khang COVID-19 Warning : Yet Another Hoax!
- Man With COVID-19 Bracelet Caught In Mahkota Parade?
- Register With MySejahtera / Logbook, Or Get Fined RM1K!
- Fact Check : Is China Using Coffee To Cure COVID-19?
- IMR Finds D614G Mutation In All New COVID-19 Clusters!
- Malaysian AES + Speed Trap Camera Locations For 2020!
- Robbers Posing As KKM Officers Testing For COVID-19?
- Does Singapore Require You To Wear PPE Suits On Flights?
- How To SAFELY Clean Our Phone + Watch Against COVID-19
If you like our work, you can help support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!