One of the key issues doctors and public health officials have is clinically determining if a patient has the symptoms of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
As it so happens, the COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic occurred during a bad influenza season, making it difficult to differentiate between the two.
But thanks to a new JAMA-published study, doctors and public health officials can now better identify COVID-19 patients!
COVID-19 Coronavirus : What Are Its Key Symptoms?
The study on the clinical presentation of 2019-nCoV patients by Dawei Wang and his team was published in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) on 7 February 2020.
It looked at the clinical characteristics of 138 patients who were hospitalised at the Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, from 1 January to 28 January 2020.
Top 5 Symptoms Of COVID-19 Coronavirus Patients
Their study showed that fever was the chief symptom, and there were very few reports of headache, dizziness, nausea or vomiting.
Just over half the patients had a dry cough, and only about a third reported muscle pain. Interestingly, no one reported a runny or stuffy nose.
This will help to clinically differentiate COVID-19 from the far more common influenza, especially if a lab test is not readily available.
Here are the top 5 symptoms of the COVID-19 coronavirus that the study identified from those 138 patients :
|Top 5 Symptoms||No. Of Patients||% Of Patients|
(Shortness of Breath)
Top 5 Symptoms Of COVID-19 Coronavirus Patients Requiring ICU Care
Dawei Wang’s team also looked at what symptoms were more common in patients who ended up requiring ICU care.
They found that these patients were more likely to lose significant weight and suffer shortness of breath, compared to patients who did not require ICU care.
Here are the top 5 symptoms in patients requiring ICU care. Note that a P value of < 0.05 is considered statistically significant.
(Shortness of Breath)
(Pain in Pharynx)
How Did The Chinese Treat COVID-19 Coronavirus Patients?
Dawei Wang and his team also looked at the treatments Chinese doctors used on those 138 patients.
The key treatments they used against the COVID-19 coronavirus were Tamiflu (oseltamivir), oxygen support, and glucocorticoid therapy.
|Treatment||No. Of Patients||% Of Patients|
Just before the report was released, they did a final follow-up on 3 February 2020, and found that :
- 47 patients (34.1%) recovered, and had been discharged
- 85 patients (61.6%) were still hospitalised
- 6 patients (4.3%) died
It is still early to tell whether the antiviral treatment is working, but it’s heartening to see that a significant number of patients have fully recovered.
- Malaysia Hits 50 Cases With Second COVID-19 Wave!
- COVID-19 Racists Attacked Student On Oxford Street!
- H1N1 American Pandemic Virus Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
- Stop Blaming Snakes For The COVID-19 Coronavirus!
- Why Are People Wearing Water Bottles On Their Heads?
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- COVID Coronavirus : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- COVID-19 : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- Can Face Masks Protect Us Against The Flu / Influenza?
- How To Wear A Surgical Mask – The Hoax & The Truth!
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- New Nestle NANKID OPTIPRO Details + Sale!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
- Princeton University Warns Of Cancer Risk From Fridge Magnets
- Kinder Joy wax coating causes cancer?
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked
If you like our work, support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!