The Malaysian Ministry of Health just refuted rumours that a patient died of COVID-19 in the Penang Hospital. Here are the facts!
COVID-19 | SARS-CoV-2 : A Quick Explainer
First of all, let us clarify that COVID-19 (short for Coronavirus Disease 19) is the new official name for 2019-nCoV, which is informally known as the Wuhan coronavirus.
The virus itself is now called SARS-CoV-2, in recognition of how closely it resembles the SARS virus.
We will, henceforth, be using COVID-19 in reference to the disease, and SARS-CoV-2 is reference to the virus.
Recommended : COVID-19 : What Are Its Key Symptoms?
False Claim : A Patient Died Of COVID-19 In Penang Hospital!
Rumours have been circulating that a patient died of COVID-19 in the Penang Hospital.
This was likely due to a China Press report on 13 February 2020 that was titled (paraphrased), “First Case? A Patient Died Of COVID-19 In Penang“.
Here is a summary of the facts about this patient :
- On 10 February 2020, the patient was admitted to the hospital for a cough and swollen legs.
- He did NOT have any history of travel to China, or close contact with any known COVID-19 patients.
- He was warded and then transferred to the ICU when his condition deteriorated.
- He died on 12 February 2020 from “septic shock with multi-organ failure complicated with cardiogenic shock“
- A COVID-19 test was conducted on his clinical samples, and came back NEGATIVE on 13 February 2020.
Therefore, those rumours are untrue. No one died of COVID-19 in Penang.
MoH Malaysia : No COVID-19 Death In Penang Hospital
The Director General of Health, Malaysia Ministry of Health, Datuk Dr. Noor Hisham Abdullah, issued this statement about these rumours.
Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia (KKM) mengambil maklum bahawa terdapat satu laporan akhbar China Press bertarikh 13 Februari 2020 dengan tajuk “Kes pertama ? Jangkitan selesema dimasukkan ke hospital dan meninggal dunia akibat jangkitan COVID-19 berlaku di Pulau Pinang”. Akibat dari itu, banyak khabar angin yang mengatakan bahawa kematian tersebut disebabkan jangkitan COVID-19.
Untuk makluman, pesakit berkenaan telah mendapatkan rawatan di sebuah hospital di Pulau Pinang disebabkan oleh batuk dan bengkak di kedua-dua belah kaki beliau pada 10 Februari 2020. Beliau tidak mempunyai sejarah pergerakan ke negara China atau mempunyai kontak rapat dengan pesakit yang disahkan COVID-19. Selain itu, pesakit ini juga mempunyai masalah kesihatan kronik yang lain dan masih dalam rawatan susulan. Beliau kemudiannya telah dimasukkan ke wad, dan seterusnya ke Unit Rawatan Rapi (ICU) disebabkan kesihatan beliau yang semakin merosot. Pada 12 Februari 2020, pesakit telah meninggal dunia disebabkan oleh “Septic shock with multiorgan failure complicated with cardiogenic shock”.
Sampel klinikal telah diambil untuk ujian saringan jangkitan COVID-19. Ini adalah kerana, pesakit dimasukkan ke ICU dan mempunyai dapatan klinikal penyakit radang paru-paru (pneumonia). Sampel klinikal pesakit telah dihantar ke Institut Penyelidikan Perubatan (IMR) untuk ujian pengesanan dan pengesahan bagi COVID-19. Pada 13 Februari 2020. keputusan ujian makmal mengesahkan pesakit adalah NEGATIF kepada jangkitan COVID-19.
And here is our English translation :
The Ministry of Health Malaysia was advised that there was a China Press report dated 13 February 2020 with the title “First Case? Flu infection admitted to hospital and died due to COVID-19 infection in Penang”. As a result, many rumours were spread claiming that the death was caused by COVID-19.
FYI, the patient was treated at a hospital in Penang for a cough and swelling of both legs on 10 February 2020. He did not have any history of travel of China, or any close contact with confirmed COVID-19 patients. In addition, this patient has other chronic health problems for which he was receiving follow-up treatments.
He was admitted to the ward, and then transferred to the ICU when his health declined. On 12 February 2020, the patient passed away due to “septic shock with multi-organ failure complicated with cariogenic shock”.
Clinical samples were taken from this patient for the COVID-19 screening test, because he was in the ICU with clinical signs of pneumonia. Those samples were sent to the Institute of Medical Research (IMR) to be tested for COVID-19.
On 13 February 2020, the lab results confirmed that the patient was NEGATIVE for COVID-19 infection.
So there you have it – the patient did not die of COVID-19.
- 19th COVID-19 Patient In Malaysia : Another Chinese Tourist
- Wuhan Coronavirus : What Are Its Key Symptoms?
- Wuhan Coronavirus In Malaysia : 3 Survivors, 14 To Go!
- 1st Wuhan Coronavirus Survivor In Malaysia Flies Home!
- Chinese Girl Recovers From Wuhan Coronavirus In Malaysia!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
- Stop Blaming Snakes For The Wuhan Coronavirus!
- H1N1 American Pandemic Virus Hoax Debunked!
- Why Are People Wearing Water Bottles On Their Heads?
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- Can Face Masks Protect Us Against The Flu / Influenza?
- How To Wear A Surgical Mask – The Hoax & The Truth!
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- New Nestle NANKID OPTIPRO Details + Sale!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
- Princeton University Warns Of Cancer Risk From Fridge Magnets
- Kinder Joy wax coating causes cancer?
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked
If you like our work, support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!