Was COVID-19 found on fruits and vegetables, long after an infected customer touched them?
Find out what the facts are, and how to safely purchase fruits and vegetables to avoid COVID-19!
The COVID-19 Found On Fruits & Vegetables Hoax
This message has been circulating on WhatsApp for a few days, claiming that a Hong Kong laboratory found trace amounts of the COVID-19 virus on the skin of fruits and vegetables long after an infected person touched them.
From trusted source in Hong Kong today:
“In our laboratory, we found trace amount of the virus on the skin of fruits and vegetables after 12 hours of being touched by another customer who was infected.
We recommend our staff to avoid salads. Do not eat the fruits within 48 hours of purchase, or pour some boiling water over the fruit before cutting. Berries, apples, cucumbers and tomatoes are the worst because some people eat the skin.
This explains why the virus is spreading faster in the west than asia. Most Asians do not eat salad and very few people eat the skin of any fruit.
We have to assume anything that comes from outside our home within 48 hours is infected. Shoes, clothes, our hair, all food.”
COVID-19 Found On Fruits & Vegetables Hoax Debunked!
Well, this is yet another fake post about COVID-19 spreading through fruits and vegetables. And here are the reasons why…
Reason #1 : No News Report On Such A Tremendous Discovery
If this Hong Kong laboratory did indeed find the COVID-19 virus persisting on the skin of fruits and vegetables, it would have been headline news worldwide.
Health authorities would have to issue directives on how to keep fresh produce clean and clear of the COVID-19 coronavirus (also known as SARS-CoV-2).
Yet, there is not a single reliable news report on such a tremendous discovery.
Reason #2 : How Did The Lab Know When The Customer Touched What Fruits?
The laboratory claimed to have tested fruits and vegetables that were touched by an infected customer some 12 hours earlier. How did they know?
First, how did they know the customer was infected? Most asymptomatic patients are not detected until days later, and it takes hours if not a day, to get a test result. How were they privy to the test results?
How did they know the customer touched what fruit or vegetables, and WHEN? And how likely is it that the contaminated fruit or vegetable would have remained unpurchased by someone else?
The story has way too many holes to be believable…
Reason #3 : COVID-19 Not Proven To Spread Through Fruits / Vegetables
According to the Harvard School of Public Health, there is no evidence that COVID-19 can spread through fruits and vegetables.
In fact, they point out that the COVID-19 virus cannot survive long on food, and the greatest risk of contracting it is from touching a shopping cart or shopping basket.
Reason #4 : Soap Destroys COVID-19
There is no need to keep your fruits for 48 hours. Neither do you need to pour boiling water over the fruits, before cutting them.
Simply washing them with water and food-safe soap will destroy the virus, just like how washing hands with soap.
Reason #5 : COVID-19 Is Spreading Worldwide
COVID-19 is not spreading in the West “faster” than in the East. It’s spreading rapidly WORLDWIDE.
This is due to the ease by which people travel these days – whether it’s by air, rail, or public transport.
That’s why many countries are imposing home quarantines or movement restrictions, to cut the chain of infection.
Reason #6 : Asia Was NOT Spared
The hypothesis that Asians are less susceptible because they do not eat the skin of fruits, or salad, is clearly false, because COVID-19 is rapidly spreading across Asia.
Until recently, China had the most COVID-19 cases in the world.
How To Avoid COVID-19 On Fruits & Vegetables
Now, COVID-19 spreads through respiratory droplets, and can persist for a short time.
So it is entirely possible that an infected person may transmit the virus droplets to fruits and vegetables by handling them, or coughing / sneezing near them.
That’s why health experts are advising you to only touch what you wish to purchase, and wash your produce with soap and water.
It is actually common for people to wash fruits and vegetables with food-safe soap to get rid of dirt and pesticides, especially if they plan on eating them raw.
While we cannot advocate any particular food-safe soap, here are some you can buy online (prices as of 26 March 2020) :
- Pureen (600 ml) : RM 10.25 | RM 10.50 | RM 11.50 | RM 11.50
- Pureen (600 ml x 4) : RM 43.50 | RM 45 | RM 48.68
- Pureen (600 ml x 12) : RM 122
- Safeguard (750 ml) : RM 20.90
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml) : RM 33.90 | RM 33.90
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml x 2) : RM 66.30 | RM 66.30
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml x 6) : RM 193.80
- Bacoff (500 ml) : RM 25 | RM 26.90
- Harvest Pure (437 ml) : RM 21.50 |RM 22 | RM 27
- Harvest Pure (437 ml x 2) : RM 54
- E-Clean Powder (300 g) : RM 14.90
- DXN Vege Celen (250 ml) : RM 21.50
- Auro from Germany (500 ml) : RM 83.72
- Pureen (600 ml) : S$5.50 | S$5.50
- Pureen (600 ml x 3) : S$14.82 | S$15.60 | S$15.60
- Pureen (600 ml x 12) : S$57.60
- Bacoff (500 ml) : S$14.90 | S$15.50
- ECOS (650 ml) : S$8.30
- Nature Love Mere (500 ml) : S$7.90
- Nature Love Mere (750 ml) : S$9.90
- Nature Love Mere (1250 ml) : S$15.90
- Veggie Wash (16 oz x 3) : $96
- Arm & Hammer (16.9 oz) : $7.50
- 23.4° (72 oz x 3) : $22.46
- Vegeaqua (10.6 oz) : $13.85
- Microdyn (1000 ml) : $44.99
- Fit Organic (32 oz x 3) : $44.99
- Environne (16 oz x 6) : $25.60
- Ecological (500 ml) : £14.95
- Veggie Wash (16 oz) : A$10.44
- Veggie Wash (1 gallon) : A$91.94
- 23.4° (72 oz x 3) : A$42.03
- Varna (500 ml x 6) : A$125.99
- ATTITUDE (27.1 oz) : A$10.18
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : 2320 Cases, 159 New, 1 More Dead
- COVID-19 : Simpang Renggam Under Enhanced MCO!
- Harvard : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
- BNM Hire Purchase Loan Deferment : Nothing To Lose!
- BNM Credit Card Term Loan Conversion : Worth It?
- BNM Loan Moratorium / Deferment : Should You Accept It?
- Did Dr. Li Wenliang Discover Tea As COVID-19 Cure?
- COVID-19 : Chloroquine Poisoning Kills One, Injures Others
- No, Alcohol In Hand Sanitiser Won’t Catch Fire!
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : 1518 Cases, 212 New, 4 More Dead!
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : 1306 Cases, 123 New, 2 More Dead!
- A Dark Day For Malaysia : HTF Doctor Dies From COVID-19
- US FDA Did NOT Approve Chloroquine For COVID-19 Yet
- What Happens When A Suspected COVID-19 Case Lies!
- A Dark Day For Malaysia : Five COVID-19 Deaths Today!
- MYEG COVID-19 Rapid Test : Genuine But NOT Approved Yet!
- 3rd COVID-19 Death In Malaysia : Another Tabligh Participant
- What Happens When A COVID-19 Close Contact Lies!
- Tom Hanks Did NOT Die From COVID-19 : Hoax Debunked!
- American Soldier On Train Is Patient Zero Hoax Debunked!
- Donald Trump Fainted From Coronavirus Hoax Debunked!
- Tabligh Participant Shamed Into Getting Tested For COVID-19!
- MYEG COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Fake?
- COVID-19 Fake News : UNHCR Refugees Refusing Tests!
- MBPJ : Food Outlets Open With Conditions During Lockdown!
- Malaysia COVID-19 Lockdown : Frequently Asked Questions!
- Malaysia NATIONWIDE COVID-19 Restrictions : Full Details!
- COVID-19 : This Tabligh Participant Refused To Be Tested?
- COVID-19 : Almost 5000 Tabligh Participants Tested!
- COVID-19 : National Instruments Penang Quarantine + Cleaning!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
- COVID-19 : UOB Penang Case From Tabligh Gathering!
- Braun + Infineon : Suspected COVID-19 Cases Quarantined!
- Free Drive-Through COVID-19 Testing Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 : Agilent Penang Shuts Down As Well!
- COVID-19 : India Suspends Travel Visas Until 15 April 2020!
- COVID-19 : Malaysia MOH Looks For Ijtimak Tabligh Attendees
- COVID-19 : Keysight Penang Temporary Closure Clarified!
- COVID-19 : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
- American Origin Of H1N1 Pandemic Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 : Motorola Penang Evacuation Clarified!
- Private COVID-19 Tests In Malaysia : Here Are The Details!
- COVID-19 : Motorola Penang Evacuation Clarified!
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!
Pingback: MAEPS Converted Into 500-Bed COVID-19 Hospital | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: 6-Month Loan Moratorium : What's The Financial Impact? | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 2626 Cases, 156 New, 3 More Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 2766 Cases, 140 New, 6 More Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 2908 Cases, 142 New, 2 More Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) : SMS Scam Alert | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 138 Healthcare Workers Infected | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 3333 Cases, 217 New, 3 More Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 3483 Cases, 150 New, 4 More Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : Chow Kit Locked Down! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 6383 Cases, 4567 Healed, 106 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 6589 Cases, 4929 Healed, 108 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 6726 Cases, 5113 Healed, 109 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 6894 Cases, 5571 Healed, 113 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 6941 Cases, 5615 Healed, 113 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 7009 Cases, 5706 Healed, 114 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 7629 Cases, 6169 Healed, 115 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: CMCO in Malaysia Extended To 9 June + No Raya Travel! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 7762 Cases, 6330 Healed, 115 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 7819 Cases, 6353 Healed, 115 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : 7857 Cases, 6404 Healed, 115 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 in Malaysia : Two Areas In Banting Locked Down! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Limkokwing King of Africa Billboard: Should It Be Taken Down? | Rojak Pot
Pingback: RMCO Update : Gyms, Yoga, Snooker, Etc. To Reopen! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: Malaysia RMCO Liberalisation : What Is Allowed / Not Allowed? | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 8453 Cases, 7346 Recovered, 121 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Robbers Posing As KKM Officers Testing For COVID-19? | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 8572 Cases, 8156 Recovered, 121 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 8587 Cases, 8177 Recovered, 121 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 8596 Cases, 8231 Recovered, 121 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Disgusting Yong Tau Foo Factory Shut Down! | The Rojak Pot