The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health just shared some advice on grocery shopping safety during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Many are common sense advice, but it pays to read through, and remind ourselves of what we need to stay protected from SARS-CoV-2.
COVID-19 | SARS-CoV-2 : A Quick Explainer
First of all, we should clarify that SARS-CoV-2 is the official name of 2019-nCoV, in recognition of how closely it resembles the SARS virus, genetically.
The disease it causes is called COVID-19, which is short for Coronavirus Disease 2019.
COVID-19 should be used when you refer to the disease, and SARS-CoV-2 when referring to the virus. But for ease of understanding, we may use COVID-19 coronavirus to replace SARS-CoV-2.
Recommended : Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
Harvard : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
The COVID-19 coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) is mainly spread by respiratory droplets, but can survive for some time on surfaces.
The greatest risk of picking up the COVID-19 coronavirus is from TOUCHING a shopping trolley or basket, because the virus can survive on hard surfaces like steel or plastic for up to 3 days.
The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health recommends that you :
- bring a hand sanitiser to sanitise your car door handles or any handles that you may touch
- wipe down all surfaces of the trolley or basket, and discard the wipe immediately,
- bring and use a pair of disposable gloves, before touching the trolley or basket,
- try to maintain a distance of 6 feet (1.5 metres) or more, from other shoppers,
- try to shop during off-peak hours to avoid crowds, and
- bring and use your own reusable shopping bags if possible
They also suggest that you can offer to bag your own groceries, or use the self-checkout lanes, to reduce contact.
But if you use the self-checkout lane, please make sure you wipe down the barcode scanner, touchscreen, and/or conveyor belt… or use disposable gloves.
Finally, when you get home, you should wash your hands thoroughly with clean water and soap for a minimum of 20 seconds.
- BNM Hire Purchase Loan Deferment : Nothing To Lose!
- BNM Credit Card Term Loan Conversion : Worth It?
- BNM Loan Moratorium / Deferment : Should You Accept It?
- Did Dr. Li Wenliang Discover Tea As COVID-19 Cure?
- COVID-19 : Chloroquine Poisoning Kills One, Injures Others
- No, Alcohol In Hand Sanitiser Won’t Catch Fire!
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : 1518 Cases, 212 New, 4 More Dead!
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : 1306 Cases, 123 New, 2 More Dead!
- A Dark Day For Malaysia : HTF Doctor Dies From COVID-19
- US FDA Did NOT Approve Chloroquine For COVID-19 Yet
- What Happens When A Suspected COVID-19 Case Lies!
- A Dark Day For Malaysia : Five COVID-19 Deaths Today!
- MYEG COVID-19 Rapid Test : Genuine But NOT Approved Yet!
- 3rd COVID-19 Death In Malaysia : Another Tabligh Participant
- What Happens When A COVID-19 Close Contact Lies!
- Tom Hanks Did NOT Die From COVID-19 : Hoax Debunked!
- American Soldier On Train Is Patient Zero Hoax Debunked!
- Donald Trump Fainted From Coronavirus Hoax Debunked!
- Tabligh Participant Shamed Into Getting Tested For COVID-19!
- MYEG COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Fake?
- COVID-19 Fake News : UNHCR Refugees Refusing Tests!
- MBPJ : Food Outlets Open With Conditions During Lockdown!
- Malaysia COVID-19 Lockdown : Frequently Asked Questions!
- Malaysia NATIONWIDE COVID-19 Restrictions : Full Details!
- COVID-19 : This Tabligh Participant Refused To Be Tested?
- COVID-19 : Almost 5000 Tabligh Participants Tested!
- COVID-19 : National Instruments Penang Quarantine + Cleaning!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!