Yesterday, the Malaysia Ministry of Health revealed that they were running low on 3 types of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) in their fight against COVID-19.
They also shared how they have been keeping track of PPE stocks in Malaysia, and what they are doing to mitigate the shortage.
COVID-19 in Malaysia : 3 PPE Types Running Low In April
Due to the highly-contagious nature of COVID-19, PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) is critical in protecting healthcare workers, and so their use have skyrocketed.
Malaysia Director General of Health, Datuk Dr. Noor Hisham Abdullah, revealed that the Malaysia Ministry of Health is running out of three key PPE types in April.
- Jumpsuit or protective coverall : 19 days left
- Disposable fluid resistant apron (long sleeves with cuffs) : 23 days left
- Disposable face shield (eye visor, face shield or goggles) : 25 days left
Three other PPE types are also running low :
- Surgical N-95 face mask : 37 days left
- 3-ply face mask : 47 days left
- Protective head cover : 52 days left
The only PPE the Malaysia Ministry of Health has in excess of two months supply is footwear / boot cover.
Grassroots Effort To Make DIY Face Shields
Fortunately, there are many volunteers who are making DIY face shields to help make up for the shortage.
If you are interested to do so, you can learn how to quickly and easily make DIY face shields from Dr. Tan Sock Hooi and her Malaysian Dental Association Northern Zone team!
Be part of the fight against COVID-19!
Recommended : COVID-19 : How To DIY Your Own Face Shields!
PPE Strategy In Malaysia
The Malaysia Ministry of Health earlier revealed their strategy to ensure sufficient PPE is available, even in the face of a global shortage due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Coordinate the PPE supply chain – centralised procurement and monitoring of effective PPE usage
- Minimise the need for PPE – through quarantine and business reengineering to reduce exposure to infection
- Rational use of PPE – PPE should be judiciously used based on the risk of exposure
They will continue to carry out PPE procurement in bulk at central and state levels, working closely with the National Security Council, National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA) and other central agencies to ensure that issues relating to the supply chain issues are specifically addressed.
PPE Supply Management In Malaysia
The Malaysia Ministry of Health detailed how they have been monitoring and managing the stock levels and consumption rates for the different PPE types.
The MOH uses a simple online reporting and database system that is administered by Officers at all State Health Departments, hospitals and District Health Offices (including all health clinics under the respective District Health Office).
The responsible officers in each state will key in data on a daily basis, and the information is used to rapidly mobilise stocks to hospitals that require them.
The Malaysia Ministry of Health also provided this list of names, telephone numbers and email addresses of the responsible officers in each state that can assist the public, as well as healthcare workers, in providing feedback on shortage of any PPE.
Upon “immediate verification”, rapid mobilisation of available PPE stocks can be undertaken to address a shortage, based on needs and priorities.
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Avoid suspected cases or disease hotpots, like hospitals, if possible!
- Avoid public events and crowds
- Keep our hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep our home, office, vehicles, etc. clean
- If you need to wear a surgical mask, make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : COVID-19 : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
- New York Accidental Cremation Hoax Debunked!
- Doctor Died Taking Hydroxychloroquine To Prevent COVID-19
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : 224 Healthcare Workers Infected
- Business Ops Allowed During MCO : Full List + Requirements!
- McDonald’s Malaysia Voucher Scam EXPOSED!
- Fact Check : Out-Of-Control Crowd @ Johor Bahru CIQ!
- Charity Scam : Current List Of 79 Reported Scammers!
- New COVID-19 Clusters Show The Danger Of Social Contact!
- Anti-Lockdown Gathering Of Muslim Migrants Debunked!
- CNBC COVID-19 Airborne Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Airborne Hoax Debunked : Japanese Doctor Edition!
- Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) : SMS Scam Alert
- COVID-19 : How To DIY Your Own Face Shields!
- 600-Bed MAEPS COVID-19 Hospital : An Inside Look!
- COVID-19 : Menara City One Under Enhanced MCO!
- 6-Month Loan Moratorium : Why You Should TAKE It!
- COVID-19 Found On Fruits & Vegetables Hoax Debunked!
- Harvard : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
- BNM Hire Purchase Loan Deferment : Nothing To Lose!
- BNM Credit Card Term Loan Conversion : Worth It?
- BNM Loan Moratorium / Deferment : Should You Accept It?
- Did Dr. Li Wenliang Discover Tea As COVID-19 Cure?
- No, Alcohol In Hand Sanitiser Won’t Catch Fire!
- US FDA Did NOT Approve Chloroquine For COVID-19 Yet
- Tom Hanks Did NOT Die From COVID-19 : Hoax Debunked!
- American Soldier On Train Is Patient Zero Hoax Debunked!
- Donald Trump Fainted From Coronavirus Hoax Debunked!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!