Malaysia will make COVID-19 vaccination voluntary, and those who want the vaccine will register through the MySejahtera app.
Here is what you need to know about the COVID-19 vaccination plan for Malaysia!
COVID-19 Vaccine Registration Through MySejahtera App
On 5 January 2020, the Science, Technology and Innovation Minister, Khairy Jamaluddin, announced that COVID-19 vaccination will be voluntary in Malaysia.
He said that Malaysians will have to (later) register for COVID-19 vaccination through a “sign-up feature” in the MySejahtera app.
He also said that the government has not decided whether to offer free COVID-19 vaccinations to foreigners residing in Malaysia.
“We will have a meeting with the special committee in a couple of weeks.”
But the importance of vaccinating both documented and undocumented foreigners was not lost to him. He acknowledged that the more foreigners are vaccinated, the safer Malaysians will be.
“We need to vaccinate them to ensure that we and they are safe.”
Malaysia COVID-19 Vaccine Plan : 82.8% Coverage
Malaysia aims to achieve a vaccination coverage of 82.8%, which exceeds the minimum 70% to 80% coverage scientists believe is necessary to achieve herd immunity.
Here is the Malaysia Ministry of Health (KKM) plan to achieve their target of vaccinating 26.5 million citizens – 82.8% of the population.
Path To 82.8% COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage
This KKM infographic shows how Malaysia aims to vaccinate 82.8% of the population :
- 20% will receive the BNT162b2 vaccine from Pfizer-BioNTech
- 10% will receive the AZD1222 vaccine from AstraZeneca-Oxford
- 10% will receive vaccines secured through the COVAX facility
- 22% will receive the CoronaVac vaccine from Sinovac BioTech.
- 10.8% will receive the Convidecia vaccine from CanSino Biologics.
- 10% will receive the Sputnik V (Gam-COVID-Vac) vaccine from Gamaleya Research Institute.
Why So Many Vaccines?
According to KKM, they decided to purchase from different vaccine manufacturers to ensure a sufficient supply of vaccines.
It is impossible for any one, or two, or even three vaccine manufacturer to manufacture enough vaccines to vaccinate the entire world. So it is necessary for Malaysia to purchase from multiple companies to vaccinate its population.
The only problem with using six different vaccines? Healthcare workers and logistics will need to keep track and deal with different administration and storage requirements.
While it may be possible to avoid that by allocating different vaccines by location, it would make for bad optics and possibly poorer uptake of the vaccination program.
While it is possible that Malaysia may achieve 82.8% vaccination by the end of 2021, it will take considerable effort and the availability of all six vaccines by the middle of 2021.
Even so, herd immunity of the Malaysian population is unlikely to be achieved until end of 2021, or early 2022.
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Avoid suspected cases or disease hotspots, like hospitals, if possible!
- Avoid public events and crowds
- Keep our hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- If you need to wear a surgical mask, make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
Recommended : COVID-19 : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- MOE : All Students Study Online, Except For These Students
- Multiple Jaya Grocer Intermark Staff Positive For COVID-19!
- BIG @ Publika : Fourth Person Positive For COVID-19!
- Kelantan + 3 Sarawak Districts Coming Under MCO / PKP!
- Jaya Grocer Intermark : Cashier Positive For COVID-19!
- BIG @ Publika : Third Employee Positive For COVID-19!
- Village Grocer M-City : Cashier Positive For COVID-19!
- Village Grocer Melawati : Employee Positive For COVID-19!
- Here Are The MCO Roadblocks + Road Closures In Penang!
- BIG @ Plaza Batai : One Guard Positive For COVID-19!
- UOB OUG KL : One Employee Positive For COVID-19!
- UOB Plaza Mahkota : One Employee Positive For COVID-19
- FamilyMart : Major Supplier Has Multiple COVID-19 Cases!
- Several Giant Subang Jaya Employees Positive For COVID-19!
- Follow This MCO SOP Or Get Fined Up To RM 1K!
- MITI : These Business Sectors Can Operate During MCO
- PDRM Will Close These 7 Petaling Jaya Roads During MCO!
- BIG @ Publika : Second Employee Positive For COVID-19!
- Malaysia : 8 MCO Areas, 6 CMCO Areas, 2 RMCO Areas!
- 5 Yo Nur Safiyya : Mama, Please Take Care Of Yourself Too…
- Did Alabama Nurse Tiffany Dover Die From Pfizer Vaccine?
- Is This Amazing Female Dancer A Robot Created By China?
- Did The Second Penang Bridge Get Hit By Giant Waves?
- Can A Ringing Phone Cause A Gas Stove To Explode?
- Can You Cure A Heart Attack By Slapping The Elbow?
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
If you like our work, you can help support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!