People are sharing a viral post, claiming that DAP built a Chinese Communist monument in Penang!
Find out what’s going on, and what the facts really are!
Did DAP Build A Chinese Communist Monument In Penang?
People are sharing this viral post, claiming that DAP built a Chinese Communist monument in Penang!
Here is the original Bahasa Melayu post, with our English translation :
No, DAP Did NOT Build A Chinese Communist Monument In Penang
This is yet another political fake story, designed to incite hatred and racial tensions in Malaysia. And here are the facts :
Fact #1 : That Is The Ayer Itam War Memorial Park
That is NOT a Chinese Communist monument. That is the Penang Overseas Chinese Anti-War Memorial Park, also known as the Ayer Itam War Memorial Park.
There are two key monuments at this memorial park :
- a bronze-coloured army supply truck being pushed by three Nanyang transport volunteers from Malaya.
- a 45-foot tall white obelisk that commemorates the Marco Polo Incident that kicked off the Second Sino-Japanese War of 1937-1945.
Fact #2 : They Started Building It In 1946, Before Communist China Existed
Work on the Penang Overseas Chinese Anti-War Memorial Park started in 1946, and it was officially opened in 1951.
DAP was only formed on 11 October 1965, so the claim that it was built when DAP gained power in Penang is false.
Because the People’s Republic of China was only established in 1949, the claim that this is a communist revolution monument is idiotic.
It is also extremely stupid to claim that the figures were dressed as Chinese Communists, because Communist China didn’t exist when the monument was being built!
Fact #3 : The Memorial Park Was Privately Funded
The original Penang Overseas Chinese Anti-War Memorial Park was funded entirely by the Penang China Relief Fund, a Penang-based private fundraising organisation.
After the Penang China Relief Fund was dissolved in 1952, the Kong Min School was entrusted to maintain the memorial with an annual budget of $5,000, and an annual memorial service.
Fact #4 : It Was Upgraded For Its 60th Anniversary
The Board of Trustees of the Kong Min School decided to repair and upgrade the memorial for its 60th anniversary.
The RM 400,000 project, which was funded by private donations from various organisations and individuals as well as the Penang state government, included a 60 foot-long wall relief showing Malayan transport volunteers on the Burma-China road, and a peace column with flying doves.
When it was opened at precisely 11:11 AM on 11 November 2016 by Penang Chief Minister, Lim Guan Eng, politicians from both sides of the political divide attended the launch.
Therefore, the claim that no one knew about it, or that it was only something DAP would do, is categorically FALSE.
Fact #5 : There Is Information In Four Languages
The Ayer Itam War Memorial Park has information in four languages – English, Bahasa Melayu, Chinese and Japanese.
Here is the information panel in English and Bahasa Melayu, proving that the claim there is no information in both languages are FALSE.
- Limkokwing University Hit By Teaching Permit Accusation!
- FG Lockdown Funds : Watch Out For This Online Scam!
- Illegal Chicken Processing Facility In Cheras Shut Down!
- Boyu Shi : Was He Racially Profiled + Arrested By Toronto PD?
- Yamarico Tea Noodle Factory : Disgusting Conditions Exposed!
- FREE Thomson Hospital Flu Vaccine : Should You Take It?
- World of Buzz Editorial Policies Exposed By Former Writer!
- Disgusting Yong Tau Foo Factory Shut Down!
- Limkokwing : The King of Africa Apparently Has A Queen!
- Do NOT Use Dexamethasone As COVID-19 Prophylaxis!
- Chong Brother Bean : Disgusting Tofu Factory Exposed!
- Robbers Posing As KKM Officers Testing For COVID-19?
- Does Singapore Require You To Wear PPE Suits On Flights?
- Did Dr. Li Wenliang Discover Coffee As COVID-19 Cure?
- Limkokwing Billboard Down But It Opened A Can Of Worms…
- Limkokwing King of Africa Billboard: Should It Be Taken Down?
- GrabFood Clarifies Restaurant Availability Controversy!
- Is GrabFood Secretly Limiting Your Choices Based On Profit?
- Watch Out For Fake CIMB Scam Call / SMS!
- How To SAFELY Clean Our Phone + Watch Against COVID-19
- Fact Check : CARES Act Is Proof Of COVID-19 Plandemic?
- Fact Check : Chinese Man Attacked Over COVID-19 Racism!
- Fact Check : UNHCR Driving Licence For Malaysia
- Fact Check : SGH Bills $192,068 For COVID-19 Treatment 😱
- How To Get + Pay Your TNB Bill During COVID-19 MCO
- Why Face Masks Are CRITICAL To Prevent COVID-19
- #FilmYourHospital : Empty Hospitals Hoax Debunked!
- New York Accidental Cremation Hoax Debunked!
- Charity Scam : Current List Of 79 Reported Scammers!
- COVID-19 Airborne Hoax Debunked : Japanese Doctor Edition!
- Did Dr. Li Wenliang Discover Tea As COVID-19 Cure?
- No, Alcohol In Hand Sanitiser Won’t Catch Fire!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!