Dexamethasone is said to be the first drug proven to save lives against COVID-19, and it’s cheap and easily available.
However, you should NOT use dexamethasone as a COVID-19 prophylaxis – taking it to prevent being infected!
Dexamethasone : What Is It?
Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid drug that was first produced in 1957, and approved for medical use in 1961.
It is used to reduce inflammation in a wide number of conditions – from skin diseases and allergies to certain cancers.
It is also cheap and widely available, which makes it easy for people who to obtain and use it prophylactically against COVID-19.
Dexamethasone : First COVID-19 Treatment To Save Lives!
On 16 June 2020, Professor Peter Hornby reported that preliminary trial results of the Oxford University RECOVERY (Randomised Evaluation of COVid-19 thERapY) study showed that :
Dexamethasone is the first drug to be shown to improve survival in COVID-19. This is an extremely welcome result.
The survival benefit is clear and large in those patients who are sick enough to require oxygen treatment, so dexamethasone should now become standard of care in these patients.
Dexamethasone is inexpensive, on the shelf, and can be used immediately to save lives worldwide.
Here is a short summary of Oxford University’s press release on the study :
A total of 2104 patients were randomised to receive dexamethasone 6 mg once per day (either by mouth or by intravenous injection) for ten days and were compared with 4321 patients randomised to usual care alone.
Dexamethasone reduced deaths by one-third in ventilated patients (rate ratio 0.65 [95% confidence interval 0.48 to 0.88]; p=0.0003) and by one fifth in other patients receiving oxygen only (0.80 [0.67 to 0.96]; p=0.0021). There was no benefit among those patients who did not require respiratory support (1.22 [0.86 to 1.75; p=0.14).
Based on these results, 1 death would be prevented by treatment of around 8 ventilated patients or around 25 patients requiring oxygen alone.
As important as these findings are, it is extremely important that we should NOT use dexamethasone as a COVID-19 prophylaxis.
Why You Should NOT Use Dexamethasone As COVID-19 Prophylaxis
Reason #1 : It Only Works On Patients On Respiratory Support
The Oxford University RECOVERY press statement explicitly stated that dexamethasone only helped patients on respiratory support, reducing deaths for :
- patients on ventilators : by one-third (33%)
- patients receiving oxygen : by one-fifth (20%)
There was no benefit among those patients who did not require respiratory support.
If you have mild to moderate COVID-19 symptoms – not requiring respiratory assistance – then dexamethasone cannot help improve your outcome.
Reason #2 : Dexamethasone Has No Effect On SARS-CoV-2
Dexamethasone has no effect on the SARS-CoV-2 virus (which causes the COVID-19 disease).
It can neither destroy it, or stop it from replicating. Instead, its effectiveness in reducing patient deaths appears to be due to its anti-inflammatory effects.
It appears to prevent or reduce damage from an immune system overreaction called a cytokine storm that can occur in severe COVID-19 cases.
Reason #3 : Dexamethasone Makes You Vulnerable To Infections
Dexamethasone is an immunosuppressant, which means it will suppress your body’s immune system, and make you more susceptible to infections.
Taking dexamethasone will actually make you more likely to get infected by SARS-CoV-2 or other microbes!
Reason #3 : Dexamethasone Has Dangerous Side Effects
Dexamethasone should not be taken unless it is necessary, because it has many dangerous side effects, like :
- Eyes : Cataracts, glaucoma
- Endocrine : Hyperglycemia, hirsutism, Cushing syndrome
- Cardiovascular : Congestive heart failure, cardiac arrhythmias
- Skin : Acne, striae, bruising, discolouration, thinning, impaired wound healing
- Other : Weight gain, reduced fertility, fluid retention
Please remember how hydroxychloroquine, which US President Donald Trump promoted as safe, killed people who took it to prevent COVID-19.
DO NOT use dexamethasone as a prophylaxis for COVID-19. Dexamethasone cannot cure or prevent COVID-19!
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Avoid suspected cases or disease hotpots, like hospitals, if possible!
- Avoid public events and crowds
- Keep our hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep our home, office, vehicles, etc. clean
- If you need to wear a surgical mask, make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : COVID-19 : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- Chong Brother Bean : Disgusting Tofu Factory Exposed!
- Robbers Posing As KKM Officers Testing For COVID-19?
- Does Singapore Require You To Wear PPE Suits On Flights?
- Did Dr. Li Wenliang Discover Coffee As COVID-19 Cure?
- Limkokwing Billboard Down But It Opened A Can Of Worms…
- Limkokwing King of Africa Billboard: Should It Be Taken Down?
- Malaysia RMCO Liberalisation : What Is Allowed / Not Allowed?
- GrabFood Clarifies Restaurant Availability Controversy!
- Is GrabFood Secretly Limiting Your Choices Based On Profit?
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : Two Areas In Banting Locked Down!
- KL Motorcycle Road Bullies With Fake Plates?
- 99 Speedmart COVID-19 Sudden Death Hoax Debunked!
- Watch Out For Fake CIMB Scam Call / SMS!
- Pos Malaysia : No Bonus Scam Exposed!
- How To SAFELY Clean Our Phone + Watch Against COVID-19
- CMCO in Malaysia Extended To 9 June + No Raya Travel!
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : PJ Old Town Locked Down!
- Fact Check : CARES Act Is Proof Of COVID-19 Plandemic?
- Fact Check : Chinese Man Attacked Over COVID-19 Racism!
- Bank Negara Hire Purchase Loan Deferment : What Changed?
- Fact Check : UNHCR Driving Licence For Malaysia
- Fact Check : SGH Bills $192,068 For COVID-19 Treatment 😱
- How To Get + Pay Your TNB Bill During COVID-19 MCO
- Why Face Masks Are CRITICAL To Prevent COVID-19
- #FilmYourHospital : Empty Hospitals Hoax Debunked!
- New York Accidental Cremation Hoax Debunked!
- Charity Scam : Current List Of 79 Reported Scammers!
- COVID-19 Airborne Hoax Debunked : Japanese Doctor Edition!
- Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) : SMS Scam Alert
- COVID-19 : How To DIY Your Own Face Shields!
- COVID-19 Found On Fruits & Vegetables Hoax Debunked!
- Harvard : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
- Did Dr. Li Wenliang Discover Tea As COVID-19 Cure?
- No, Alcohol In Hand Sanitiser Won’t Catch Fire!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!
Pingback: World of Buzz Editorial Policies Exposed By Former Writer! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: Disgusting Yong Tau Foo Factory Shut Down! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: Limkokwing University Hit By Teaching Permit Accusation! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: FG Lockdown Funds : Watch Out For This Online Scam! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: Boyu Shi : Was He Racially Profiled + Arrested By Toronto PD? | Rojak Pot
Pingback: myBurgerLab : A Cyberbully Who Weaponised Social Media? | Rojak Pot
Pingback: You Can Now Use Wheeled Cabin Luggage On AirAsia! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: Why Would Donald Trump Attack Top Glove On Twitter? | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: Limited Malaysia-Singapore Travel Allowed From 10 August! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Did DAP Build A Chinese Communist Monument In Penang? | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Sarawak : New COVID-19 Quarantine Policy In August! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: Disgusting Bread Factory @ Taman Gembira Shut Down! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: 1 Utama : Mac City Staff Infected With COVID-19! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: Register With MySejahtera / Logbook, Or Get Fined RM1K! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Kota Kinabalu, Penampang, Putatan To Lock Down On 7 Oct! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Paradigm Mall : Brands Outlet Staff Infected With COVID-19! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Fitness First Setia City Mall : COVID-19 Infection Confirmed | Rojak Pot
Pingback: 1 Utama : Update On Mac City After COVID-19 Infection! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: 1 Utama Shut Down, Visitors Advised To Screen For COVID-19 | Rojak Pot