GrabFood just clarified that restaurant availability on their app is not based on commission rates. Find out what they say really went wrong with some of their partner restaurants!
GrabFood Restaurant Availability Controversy : What Happened?
A public complaint by Burgertory sparked allegations that GrabFood was secretly switching off the availability of restaurants with smaller sales buckets, or lower commission rates.
You can read all about those claims in our story, Is GrabFood Secretly Limiting Your Choices Based On Profit?
GrabFood : Restaurant Availability Not Based On Commission
Sean Goh, the Managing Director of Grab Malaysia, issued this press release to address those allegations.
First and foremost, we would like to address the misconception: we do not turn off any of our stores / restaurants based on commissions.
Secondly, during rainy days, or when there is a lack of delivery riders in a specific area, we automatically reduce the service distance to ensure that we can maintain our service levels. Once the availability of delivery riders has recovered, our service distance would resume to normal levels.
Occasionally, this may result in stores being unavailable in a nearby location, but available in a further location. For example, Customer A may reside in Bangsar but only see restaurants available in PJ, because we have insufficient delivery partners within the Bangsar area at that specific time.
Thirdly, during festive seasons where some of our restaurant partners may be closed, we practice a precautionary ‘temporary pause’ based on feedback from delivery riders who cite that a restaurant is closed despite being available in our app.
This is done to ensure we do not disappoint customers who may continue to order from restaurants who have not updated their operating hours especially during the festive season. Such was the case experienced by this specific restaurant partner.
Prior to Raya holiday period, we sent out multiple communications (emails and SMS) to remind our restaurant partners to update operating hours and how to easily reactivate their restaurants in case of a ‘temporary pause’. In this case, we apologise that we were not attentive enough to ensure our partner received and acknowledged our communications.
We also note that information that was provided by our support staff was inaccurate, and apologise for the heartache and impact to our restaurant partner.
In view of the pandemic, we empathise with our merchant partners whose income has been affected due to the lockdown and restricted operating hours, and have had to rely only on delivery services to generate income. We are continuously looking at different initiatives to help drive demand for them, such as our Local Heroes and Grab Small-Biz Relief fund which this specific partner was also a part of, but will strive to balance this with the need to ensure we continue to uphold our highest service level.
We welcome any partner who has any queries on this to reach out to us directly so we can address your concerns.
GrabFood Restaurant Availability : More Questions
We took the opportunity to ask GrabFood to clarify some points not covered in their press release. We will update this article with their answers when we get them.
- If bad weather or a lack of riders is an issue for a particular area, why was XXX restaurant marked as Unavailable, while other restaurants in the same vicinity are still Available?
- Is there a verification protocol for your rider reports? Does GrabFood call the merchant to verify that they are closed, after a rider reports it?
- The press release mentioned that GrabFood requested that restaurant partners update their operating hours. Did Burgertory or the other affected partners change their operating hours? If not, wouldn’t the operating hours remain the same?
- What is this Temporary Pause you refer to? Why is there a need for it, and what exactly was the procedure to reactivate their restaurant?
- The Raya holidays ended on 26 May 2020, but why are they still experiencing these issues?
- Is there any reason why GrabFood support staff would claim that availability of a restaurant is based on the commission level, if that was never the case?
- If the percentage of commission does not determine availability of the restaurant, does it affect prioritisation or visibility on GrabFood?
- Can GrabFood explain to our readers the difference in commission paid by the various restaurants, and what advantage they would have for paying GrabFood more commission, as opposed to less?
- Does sales bucket affect store availability? Does it also affect prioritisation or visibility on GrabFood?
- There are concerns that the commission levels are too high – some 25% to 35%? Can you tell us the exact commissions, and breakdown of what goes to the riders, and what goes to GrabFood?
- Is GrabFood Secretly Limiting Your Choices Based On Profit?
- BLM Protestors Attacked Abe Lincoln Statue? Not So Fast!
- George Floyd Challenge : So Dangerous + Racist!
- US Protestors Breaking Into White House : Hoax Debunked!
- Spot The Difference : Hong Kong vs George Floyd Protestors!
- Did White Cops Arrest A Black Man Only To Find He’s FBI?
- KL Motorcycle Road Bullies With Fake Plates?
- 99 Speedmart COVID-19 Sudden Death Hoax Debunked!
- Watch Out For Fake CIMB Scam Call / SMS!
- Pos Malaysia : No Bonus Scam Exposed!
- Charity Scam : Current List Of 79 Reported Scammers!
- Ji Shan Foundation Charity Scam Exposed!
- Hand Sanitiser : Can It Set Your Car On Fire?
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- Car Catching Fire From Hand Sanitiser Hoax Debunked!
- The Multi-Coloured Rosary Of Mother Teresa Hoax Debunked!
- GrabPay Scam Alert : Be Careful Of FAKE Friends!
- Fact Check : CARES Act Is Proof Of COVID-19 Plandemic?
- Hari Raya Rush @ Kenanga Wholesale City On CMCO Day 1?
- Fact Check : UNHCR Driving Licence For Malaysia
- Kim Clement : Kim Jong-un Death Prophesy Failed Again
- Fact Check : SGH Bills $192,068 For COVID-19 Treatment
- Trump Gang Vaccinated Against COVID-19 Hoax Debunked!
- Face Mask Recycling Scammers Exposed!
- New York Accidental Cremation Hoax Debunked!
- McDonald’s Malaysia Voucher Scam EXPOSED!
- #FilmYourHospital : Empty Hospitals Hoax Debunked!
- Anti-Lockdown Gathering Of Muslim Migrants Debunked!
- Thai King Died From COVID-19 Hoax Debunked!
- CNBC COVID-19 Airborne Hoax Debunked!
- Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) : SMS Scam Alert
If you like our work, support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!