The Finance Minister of Malaysia just announced another U-turn (sorry, clarification) of the hire-purchase loan moratorium – no additional charges will be levied!
Here are the details of what we hope will be the final word on the hire purchase loan moratorium!
Hire Purchase Loan Moratorium : A Quick Summary
When Bank Negara first announced the hire purchase loan moratorium, it seemed clear that NO ADDITIONAL interest would be incurred during the 6 months moratorium.
After all, hire purchase loans are fixed rate – the interest is calculated at the beginning, and added to the loan, before the full sum is divided to arrive at your monthly instalment.
Because the interest is already fixed and not dependent on the outstanding principal, the interest will not accrue during the hire purchase loan deferment.
- Banks will be allowed to charge interest on hire purchase loans during the loan moratorium
- Banks will offer you the option to pay all 6-months deferred instalments PLUS interest at the end of the loan moratorium.
- Alternatively, you can stagger the repayment of the total deferred instalments PLUS interest over the extended loan tenure.
- Finally, you can opt-out of the hire purchase loan deferment now to avoid paying additional interest.
Hire Purchase Loan Moratorium : No Additional Charges!
Needless to say, there was an uproar. After all, their own FAQs and those of many banks specifically stated that the hire purchase loan moratorium would not incur additional interest.
Today, the Finance Minister of Malaysia Tengku Dato’ Sri Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz announced that no additional charges will be levied on hire purchase loans (both conventional and Shariah-compliant).
Here is the English translation of the official press release in Bahasa Malaysia (below) :
No Additional Charge On Hire Purchase Instalments (Conventional And Shariah)
Referring to the Government’s recommendation to the banking industry on the negation of additional charges on instalments for hire purchase loans (conventional and Shariah), we are pleased to announce that the Ministry of Finance has reached an agreement with the banking industry on this issue.
The agreement was reached to ensure that the monthly instalment of the loan will not change for the borrower (conventional and Shariah) throughout the financing period.
This also means that no additional charges will be incurred during the moratorium period (deferment).
Accordingly, the borrower will need to continue with the instalment as usual based on the terms of the agreement with their respective banks, including an additional 6 months for the entire financing schedule if they choose to take advantage of the moratorium. Further information is available from the respective banks. The government hopes this decision will ease the burden of the people during this difficult time.
- Fact Check : CARES Act Is Proof Of COVID-19 Plandemic?
- Why Such Long Queues At Pawn Shops On CMCO Day 1?
- Hari Raya Rush @ Kenanga Wholesale City On CMCO Day 1?
- Bank Negara Hire Purchase Loan Deferment : What Changed?
- Fact Check : UNHCR Driving Licence For Malaysia
- Kim Clement : Kim Jong-un Death Prophesy Failed Again
- Sitti Hikmawatty Fired Over Sperm In Swimming Pool Claim
- Fact Check : SGH Bills $192,068 For COVID-19 Treatment
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Confident USA Created COVID-19!
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Says COVID-19 Created By China!
- Fact Check : Fox News Hot Mic Leaks COVID-19 Hoax + Vaccine
- Trump Gang Vaccinated Against COVID-19 Hoax Debunked!
- How To Open A Pre-Cut Coconut, The Easy Way!
- Is COVID-19 An Airborne Virus? Here Are The Facts!
- Ji Shan Foundation Charity Scam Exposed!
- Charity Scam : Current List Of 79 Reported Scammers!
- How To Get + Pay Your TNB Bill During COVID-19 MCO
- Face Mask Recycling Scammers Exposed!
- New York Accidental Cremation Hoax Debunked!
- Why Face Masks Are CRITICAL To Prevent COVID-19
- Doctor Died Taking Hydroxychloroquine To Prevent COVID-19
- McDonald’s Malaysia Voucher Scam EXPOSED!
- #FilmYourHospital : Empty Hospitals Hoax Debunked!
- Anti-Lockdown Gathering Of Muslim Migrants Debunked!
- Thai King Died From COVID-19 Hoax Debunked!
- CNBC COVID-19 Airborne Hoax Debunked!
- Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) : SMS Scam Alert
- COVID-19 : How To DIY Your Own Face Shields!
- Bomohs Combine Powers To Trap COVID-19 Toyol!
- Did This Malaysian Student Die From COVID-19 In London?
- 6-Month Loan Moratorium : Why You Should TAKE It!
- COVID-19 Found On Fruits & Vegetables Hoax Debunked!
- Harvard : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
If you like our work, support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!