A video of HKL (Hospital Kuala Lumpur) preparing for 3,000 new COVID-19 patients a day has gone viral!
Find out what happened, and what the facts really are!
Claim : HKL Preparing For 3K COVID-19 Cases A Day
A video showing beds and mattresses being unloaded at HKL (Hospital Kuala Lumpur / Kuala Lumpur General Hospital) has gone viral, because it’s accompanied by this message :
KL GH getting ready for massive spike of Covid infection cases, expecting around 3000 patients per day in the Klang Valley and KL..
Is HKL Preparing For 3,000 New COVID-19 Cases A Day? Not Quite!
The video is genuine and shows the unloading of beds and mattresses at HKL (also known as KL GH – KL General Hospital).
However, HKL is NOT preparing to take in 3,000 new COVID-19 patients per day. Here are the facts…
Fact #1 : HKL COVID-19 Capacity Only Expanded By 151 Beds
On 14 November 2020, DG Health Dr. Noor Hisham Abdullah announced the expansion of COVID-19 bed capacity at HKL by 151 beds.
In total, the maternity block at HKL now has 358 beds for COVID-19 patients.
Fact #2 : HKL Only Has 831 Beds For COVID-19 Patients
As of 18 November 2020, HKL only has 831 beds for COVID-19 patients, with the additional 151 beds.
COVID-19 patients are quarantined at the hospital for 14 days. Therefore, the COVID-19 bed capacity in HKL is only enough to sustain an average of 59 new cases a day.
There is simply no way for HKL to accept 3,000 new COVID-19 patients a day, or even a month!
Fact #3 : Klang Valley Now Has 4,739 COVID-19 Beds
Due to the rapid increase in COVID-19 patients in the Klang Valley, KKM quickly ramped up the number of beds for COVID-19 patients.
- Sungai Buloh Hospital – increased to 630 beds
- Kuala Lumpur Hospital – increased to 831 beds
- Cheras Rehabilitation Hospital – converted into COVID-19 hybrid hospital with 230 beds
- KKM Training Institute – 8 blocks reopened as Quarantine Centre with 2,400 beds
- National Leprosy Control Centre – continues as Quarantine Centre with 648 beds
As of 18 November 2020, there are 4,739 COVID-19 beds in the Klang Valley, up from just 345 beds on 1 October 2020.
Fact #4 : KKM Not Preparing To Handle 3,000 Cases A Day In Klang Valley
The massive 14X increase in COVID-19 beds still does NOT allow KKM to handle 3,000 new COVID-19 patients a day for the whole Klang Valley.
There are only enough beds to handle an average of 338 new COVID-19 patients a day, on a sustained basis.
If KKM was really expecting to handle 3,000 new COVID-19 patients a day, they would have prepared some 42,000 beds.
It looks like they (currently) do not believe that the Klang Valley will exceed 4,700 active cases at any point in time.
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Avoid suspected cases or disease hotpots, like hospitals, if possible!
- Avoid public events and crowds
- Keep our hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep our home, office, vehicles, etc. clean
- If you need to wear a surgical mask, make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : COVID-19 : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- UNIQLO Empire Subang : Staff Positive For COVID-19!
- Kelantan Under CMCO Lockdown Starting 21 November! 😱
- Mydin Bukit Jambul Caught Man With COVID-19 Bracelet!
- Vintry Damansara : Two Employees Positive For COVID-19!
- Murni Discovery Cheras : 7 Confirmed COVID-19 Cases!
- Gurney Paragon Residences : 1 COVID-19 Case Confirmed!
- Man With COVID-19 Bracelet Caught Outside Jelutong Market
- UNIQLO Fahrenheit 88 : Staff Positive For COVID-19!
- Did Old Town White Coffee Use PORK In Curry Mee?!
- RM399 Laguna Redang Holiday : A Umance Scam?
- MKN : 3 People Now Allowed In Car During CMCO / PKPB
- MKN : No Special Seating / Face Mask Requirement In Car!
- RM4K Fine For Family Of 4 At Restaurant During CMCO? 🤔
- CMCO / PKPB Lockdown SOP for Peninsular Malaysia!
- KL, Putrajaya + 8 States : CMCO Lockdown Until 6 December!
- IKEA Damansara : Closed After Potential COVID-19 Case!
- Tesco Mutiara Damansara : Reopens After 48 COVID Cases!
- Bayan Lepas Lady Caught Breaking COVID-19 Quarantine!
- Nikon Says Goodbye To Malaysia On 1 January 2021
- Dr Noor Hisham Was NOT Asked To Fake COVID-19 Cases!
- Many Shops In Johor Bahru Closed Because Of COVID?
- No, Malaysia Airlines Is NOT Being Liquidated!
- Fact Check : Car Seating SOP For CMCO / PKPB Lockdown?
- RM1K Fine For Sitting Next To Driver During CMCO / PKPB?
- Register With MySejahtera / Logbook, Or Get Fined RM1K!
- Malaysian AES + Speed Trap Camera Locations For 2020!
- Robbers Posing As KKM Officers Testing For COVID-19?
- Does Singapore Require You To Wear PPE Suits On Flights?
If you like our work, you can help support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!