The Institute of Medical Research found the D614G mutation in samples from all new COVID-19 clusters in Malaysia!
Here is a quick primer on their latest findings, and what they mean for us!
D614G Mutation : What Is It?
D614G is a mutation that produces an amino acid change in the spike protein of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
This mutation appears to make SARS-CoV-2 a lot more infectious than the original virus.
However, it does not appear to cause a more severe COVID-19 disease.
- Korber et. a. (2020) found that patients infected with this variant had higher levels of virus RNA, but there was no difference in hospitalisation outcomes.
- Wagner et al. (2020) confirmed it in a study of 175 COVID-19 patients in Seattle, WA.
- Lorenzo-Redondo et. al (2020) also confirmed it in their study of 88 patients in Chicago, IL.
IMR : D614G Mutation Found In All New COVID-19 Clusters!
The Institute of Medical Research analysed 32 virus samples from five major COVID-19 clusters in Malaysia :
- LD Benteng Cluster : 23 virus samples
- Sivagangga PUI Cluster : 4 virus samples
- Tawar Cluster : 3 virus samples
- Sungai Cluster : 1 virus sample
- Bukit Tiram Cluster : 1 virus sample
Their genetic analysis of those COVID-19 virus samples revealed that :
- The D614G mutation was found in all 32 virus samples
- Virus from more recent clusters in Kedah are related to the older Sivagangga and Tawar clusters, and probably have a similar origin.
- The 23 virus samples from the LD Benteng Cluster were found not to be related to the virus samples in Kedah, even though they shared the same D614G mutation.
D614G Mutation : What Are The Implications?
The D614G mutation may not cause a more severe COVID-19 disease, but it appears to be significantly more contagious.
In fact, SARS-CoV-2 viruses with this D614G mutation are now dominant in many parts of the world.
Therefore, the Malaysia Ministry of Health is strongly advising the public to be vigilant, and to continue practicing protective measures against COVID-19 infections.
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Avoid suspected cases or disease hotpots, like hospitals, if possible!
- Avoid public events and crowds
- Keep our hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep our home, office, vehicles, etc. clean
- If you need to wear a surgical mask, make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : COVID-19 : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- CIMB Kota Damansara : NOT Closed Because Of COVID-19
- UOB Kepong Shut Down After Staff Contracts COVID-19
- A Driver’s Lucky Escape From A Falling Concrete Slab!
- Can A Ringing Phone Cause A Gas Stove To Explode?
- Can You Cure A Heart Attack By Slapping The Elbow?
- Did Canada Just Release Meng Wanzhou, HUAWEI CFO?
- The Shanghai Disneyland Robot Dancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Kashi Mining Company Scam Exposed!
- Fact Check: Somaliland Reps Wear Koteka To Taiwan Meeting!
- Fact Check : Correct Way To Wear Face Mask By GG Hospital
- Why LPG Gas Tanks Have Different Pressures
- Why Morgue Employees Won’t Get Cremated By Mistake
- Fact Check : Is Petronas Cheating At The Pumps Again?
- Dr. Fauci Did Not Write COVID-19 Essay, How Dare You?
- Don’t Fall For The SPRM Scam Call About Company Taxes!
- Did DAP Build A Chinese Communist Monument In Penang?
- FG Lockdown Funds : Watch Out For This Online Scam!
- Does Singapore Require You To Wear PPE Suits On Flights?
- Did Dr. Li Wenliang Discover Coffee As COVID-19 Cure?
- BLM Protestors Attacked Abe Lincoln Statue? Not So Fast!
- Spot The Difference : Hong Kong vs George Floyd Protestors!
- US Protestors Breaking Into White House : Hoax Debunked!
- Watch Out For Fake CIMB Scam Call / SMS!
- Car Catching Fire From Hand Sanitiser Hoax Debunked!
- The Multi-Coloured Rosary Of Mother Teresa Hoax Debunked!
- Lim Guan Eng – Bitcoin Revolution Hoax Exposed!
- American Soldier On Train Is Patient Zero Hoax Debunked!
- Boyu Shi : Was He Racially Profiled + Arrested By Toronto PD?
- This Man With Pink Wristband Did NOT Break Quarantine!
- Why Would Donald Trump Attack Top Glove On Twitter?
If you like this article, please support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 10,687 Cases, 9696 Healed, 133 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 11,034 Cases, 9889 Healed, 134 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 11,135 Cases, 9939 Healed, 134 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 11484 Cases, 10014 Healed, 136 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 12381 Cases, 10283 Healed, 137 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 13504 Cases, 10427 Healed, 141 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: SMK Taman Sea : Teacher Tested Positive For COVID-19? | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 13993 Cases, 10501 Healed, 141 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: 1 Utama Shut Down, Visitors Advised To Screen For COVID-19 | Rojak Pot
Pingback: OTK Gombak : Sanitised After COVID-19 Case | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: Bangsar Shopping Centre : Closed For COVID-19 Cleaning! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: All Schools + Kindergartens To Close For 2 Weeks In Petaling! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Maybank Bandar Puteri Puchong : Closed After COVID-19 Exposure
Pingback: KL, Selangor, Putrajaya : CMCO Lockdown On 14 October! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: KL, Selangor, Putrajaya CMCO : What's Allowed + Not Allowed | Rojak Pot
Pingback: DBKL Issued Old CMCO (PKPB) Info By MyGCC? | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: KL, Selangor, Putrajaya CMCO : Cross-State Travel SOP | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Tesco Mutiara Damansara : Disinfected After COVID Exposure | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Official MKN SOP for KL, Selangor, Putrajaya CMCO / PKPB! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: 1 Utama Cluster : 132 COVID-19 Cases, Index Case Identified! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Jaya Grocer 1 Utama : Security Guard Positive For COVID-19 | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 19627 Cases, 12561 Healed, 180 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 22225 Cases, 14351 Healed, 193 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Many Shops In Johor Bahru Closed Because Of COVID? 😱 | Rojak Pot
Pingback: 1 Utama Disputes COVID-19 Cases, Claims Just 21+1 | The Rojak Pot