Jaya Grocer at 1 Utama Shopping Centre just announced that one of their guards tested positive for COVID-19.
Find out what happened, and whether there is really any cause for concern!
Jaya Grocer 1 Utama : Security Guard Positive For COVID-19
At around 2 PM on 16 October 2020, Jaya Grocer released a press statement, announcing that their entire staff complement tested negative for COVID-19.
However, one of the five guards they employed tested positive for COVID-19, during the 1 Utama screening tests carried out on 11 October 2020.
This security guard would be the second security guard to test positive while working in 1 Utama, after the index case. The other security guards were apparently infected in their shared dormitories.
As a security measure, Jaya Grocer replaced all five of their guards. And like other 1 Utama tenants, they deep cleaned and sanitised their store according to MOH guidelines.
They also replenished their stocks to prepare for the re-opening of 1 Utama Shopping Centre tomorrow.
Jaya Grocer COVID-19 Case : Should You Be Concerned?
No, there does not appear to be any cause for concern.
The security guard was tested while 1 Utama was shut down for cleaning and sanitising. So no shoppers were in close contact.
All 67 Jaya Grocer staff members were also tested and found to be negative. So it does not appear that the guard infected any of them, probably because they were all wearing face masks.
These shopping mall infections reinforce the importance of contact tracing, and the MySejahtera mobile app which logs the movements of its users.
While shopping malls and all other public premises offer physical logbooks, we highly recommend that you use the MySejahtera mobile app, because it allows for easier and faster contact tracing.
Using the MySejahtera mobile app also obviates the need to sign a physical logbook, which usually means using a shared pen – an unnecessary risk factor.
COVID-19 is easily destroyed by soap, so the deep cleaning operation will definitely clean the outlet of any infectious particles.
And now that all 1 Utama employees and workers are confirmed negative for COVID-19 when they reopen, it should be safer than the other malls that have yet to conduct mass screening of their employees.
That said, we need to remind you that screening tests are snapshots in time. People can and do get infected after testing negative for COVID-19. Screening tests are not vaccines.
So make sure you wear a face mask at all times – they greatly reduce the risk of infection.
Jaya Grocer 1 Utama Statement On COVID-19 Case
Here is the official statement by Jaya Grocer 1 Utama on their sole COVID-19 positive case :
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Avoid suspected cases or disease hotpots, like hospitals, if possible!
- Avoid public events and crowds
- Keep our hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep our home, office, vehicles, etc. clean
- If you need to wear a surgical mask, make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : COVID-19 : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- 1 Utama To Reopen 17 Oct, Tenants Reminded To Pay Rental
- 1 Utama Cluster : 132 COVID-19 Cases, Index Case Identified!
- Labuan Under CMCO / PKPB Lockdown On 17 October!
- 1 Utama Disputes COVID-19 Cases, Claims Just 21+1
- Official MKN SOP for KL, Selangor, Putrajaya CMCO / PKPB!
- Tesco Mutiara Damansara : Disinfected After COVID Exposure
- Sabah CMCO / PKPB : The Official MKN SOP!
- KL, Selangor, Putrajaya CMCO : Cross-State Travel SOP
- KL, Selangor, Putrajaya CMCO / PKPB : Official MKN SOP!
- MyGCC Confirms DBKL Issued Old CMCO (PKPB) Info!
- Menara Public Bank : Disinfected After COVID-19 Exposure
- These Kota Damansara Roads Are Closing For CMCO Lockdown!
- Origani Staff Confirmed NEGATIVE For COVID-19!
- The Curve Deep-Cleaned After Staff Positive For COVID-19
- Machines Mid Valley Closed Indefinitely After COVID-19 Case
- MBSB Sultan Ismail : Closed After COVID-19 Exposure!
- Maybank Bandar Puteri Puchong : Closed After COVID-19 Exposure
- 3 Damansara : Deep Cleaning After COVID-19 Case
- All Schools + Kindergartens To Close For 2 Weeks In Petaling!
- Mid Valley + Gardens : 3 Outlets Closed After COVID-19 Case
- Bangsar Shopping Centre : Closed For COVID-19 Cleaning!
- Dr. Chong Yit Khang COVID-19 Warning : Yet Another Hoax!
- Man With COVID-19 Bracelet Caught In Mahkota Parade?
- Register With MySejahtera / Logbook, Or Get Fined RM1K!
- Fact Check : Is China Using Coffee To Cure COVID-19?
- IMR Finds D614G Mutation In All New COVID-19 Clusters!
- Malaysian AES + Speed Trap Camera Locations For 2020!
- Robbers Posing As KKM Officers Testing For COVID-19?
- Does Singapore Require You To Wear PPE Suits On Flights?
- How To SAFELY Clean Our Phone + Watch Against COVID-19
If you like our work, you can help support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!