You have probably seen the viral video showing rows of empty shops in Johor Bahru, evidence of an economy badly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
It came with the warning that Singaporeans should not visit Johor Bahru because they will be targeted by desperate robbers.
Find out what’s going on, and what the FACTS really are!
Many Shops In Johor Bahru Closed Because Of COVID-19? 😱
The viral video shows long rows of empty shops, with tons of large banners advertising them for sale or rent. Apparently, businesses were forced to close down because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
It is accompanied by this warning that Singaporeans should not visit Johor Bahru because they will be targeted by desperate robbers there.
JB very sipeh jialat now 👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿…. most shops are advertising for sale or rental. Also, as advised by ICA Officers, even when the border is open to Singapore, Singaporeans shouldn’t rush in becoz there will many broad daylight robberies targeting Singaporeans.
No, Those Shops Are NOT In Johor / Closed Due To COVID-19!
Thanks to help from some friends, we can confirm that while this video is genuine, those shops are nowhere in the state of Johor, or even closed down due to COVID-19.
In other words, this is FAKE NEWS, and here are the reasons why…
Reason #1 : The Video Was Recorded In Selangor
A close examination of the video will show this signboard that belongs to Optimus Business Solutions.
Optimus Business Solutions’ official address puts them in the IP5 Business Park, Kota Kemuning in Shah Alam, Selangor.
Reason #2 : They Are New Shops @ Sinaria Tropicana Aman
The shops at IP5 Business Park, however, look different from the shops in the video.
Thanks to clues provided by our friends, we traced them to a new development called Sinaria Tropicana Aman, in Kota Kemuning South, Selangor.
The shops in Sinaria Tropicana Aman definitely look exactly like those in the video. Therefore, we believe that Optimus Business Solutions may have moved there recently.
Reason #3 : Businesses Need To Exist First To Close Down
Sinaria is a relatively new development that completed in 2019. This Google Street View taken in August 2019 shows it completely empty, with no operational business.
Therefore, we believe that the viral video was taken much later, as there were many banners and at least seven operational businesses visible in it.
This suggests that while uptake has been slow, at least some businesses have moved into Sinaria Tropicana Aman.
We also do not see any old signboards of businesses that have shut down under the banners.
In other words, the streets were empty not because of COVID-19 lockdowns, but because the development is relatively new during a period of commercial real estate glut.
- Tesco Mutiara Damansara : Disinfected After COVID Exposure
- 1 Utama Cluster : Only 22 Confirmed COVID-19 Cases?
- Sabah CMCO / PKPB : The Official MKN SOP!
- KL, Selangor, Putrajaya CMCO : Cross-State Travel SOP
- KL, Selangor, Putrajaya CMCO / PKPB : Official MKN SOP!
- MyGCC Confirms DBKL Issued Old CMCO (PKPB) Info!
- Menara Public Bank : Disinfected After COVID-19 Exposure
- These Kota Damansara Roads Are Closing For CMCO Lockdown!
- Origani Staff Confirmed NEGATIVE For COVID-19!
- The Curve Deep-Cleaned After Staff Positive For COVID-19
- Machines Mid Valley Closed Indefinitely After COVID-19 Case
- MBSB Sultan Ismail : Closed After COVID-19 Exposure!
- Maybank Bandar Puteri Puchong : Closed After COVID-19 Exposure
- 3 Damansara : Deep Cleaning After COVID-19 Case
- All Schools + Kindergartens To Close For 2 Weeks In Petaling!
- Mid Valley + Gardens : 3 Outlets Closed After COVID-19 Case
- Bangsar Shopping Centre : Closed For COVID-19 Cleaning!
- OTK Gombak : Sanitised After COVID-19 Case
- Tropicana Golf : Closed For COVID-19 Cleaning + Screening
- 1 Utama Shut Down, Visitors Advised To Screen For COVID-19
- Maybank Bandar Sri Damansara : COVID-19 Infection?
- Parkson 1 Utama : Shut Down After COVID-19 Infection!
- Dr. Chong Yit Khang COVID-19 Warning : Yet Another Hoax!
- Sime Darby HQ Shut Down Because Of COVID-19
- SMK Taman Sea : Teacher Tested Positive For COVID-19?
- Tung Shin Hospital : 5 Patients Test Positive For COVID-19
- Man With COVID-19 Bracelet Caught In Mahkota Parade?
- Kota Kinabalu, Penampang, Putatan To Lock Down On 7 Oct!
- Paradigm Mall : Brands Outlet Staff Infected With COVID-19!
- Register With MySejahtera / Logbook, Or Get Fined RM1K!
- Fact Check : Is China Using Coffee To Cure COVID-19?
- IMR Finds D614G Mutation In All New COVID-19 Clusters!
- Malaysian AES + Speed Trap Camera Locations For 2020!
- Robbers Posing As KKM Officers Testing For COVID-19?
- Does Singapore Require You To Wear PPE Suits On Flights?
- How To SAFELY Clean Our Phone + Watch Against COVID-19
If you like our work, you can help support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!
Pingback: Baker's Cottage Desa Pandan : Closed After COVID-19 Case! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Transit Officer On MRT Kajang Line Positive For COVID-19 | Rojak Pot
Pingback: TGI Fridays Queensbay : Closed After COVID-19 Exposure! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 27805 Cases, 17825 Healed, 236 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 29441 Cases, 19072 Healed, 246 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Are There 50 COVID-19 Cases In Tesco Mutiara Damansara? | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Seremban CMCO / PKPB Starts On 5 November 2020! | Rojak pot
Pingback: 300 COVID-19 Deaths In Malaysia As Of 10 November 2020 | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Latest Petrol Station SOP For MySejahtera / Logbook | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 45095 Cases, 32969 Healed, 304 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: MKN : 3 People Now Allowed In Car During CMCO / PKPB | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 46209 Cases, 33772 Healed, 306 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: 306 COVID-19 Deaths In Malaysia As Of 14 November 2020 | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 48520 Cases, 35606 Healed, 313 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Man With COVID-19 Bracelet Caught Outside Jelutong Market | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 49730 Cases, 36624 Healed, 318 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Murni Discovery Cheras : 7 Confirmed COVID-19 Cases! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 50390 Cases, 37254 Healed, 322 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Vintry Damansara : Two Employees Positive For COVID-19! | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Is HKL Preparing For 3,000 New COVID-19 Cases A Day? | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: UNIQLO Empire Subang : Staff Positive For COVID-19! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 53679 Cases, 40493 Healed, 332 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: A Father's Last Words Before Dying Of COVID-19... 😭 | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 54775 Cases, 41597 Healed, 335 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Tests + Costs @ Government Health Facilities! | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 61861 Cases, 50204 Healed, 350 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: Did The Second Penang Bridge Get Hit By Giant Waves? | The Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 68020 Cases, 56969 Healed, 365 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 70236 Cases, 59061 Healed, 376 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: COVID-19 Malaysia : 72694 Cases, 61273 Healed, 382 Dead | Rojak Pot
Pingback: IKEA Damansara : Staff Tests Positive For COVID-19! | The Rojak Pot