What If You Extend Loan Tenure By 6 Months?
Loan Moratorium Financial Impact : Extend Loan Tenure By 6 Months
Here is the financial impact of extending the loan tenure by 6 months, step by step.
We will use the same scenario as the rest – a NEW RM 500,000 loan with an interest rate of 4.25% per annum, and a 30-year tenure.
Step 1 : Calculate The Instalment Deferred
First, you need to know how much money the 6-month loan moratorium is going to put in your pocket :
Okay, now we know that the loan moratorium will let you keep RM 2,459.70 of your money every month, giving you just over RM 14,750 to use during this COVID-19 crisis.
Step 2 : Calculate The Compounding Interest
During the 6-month loan moratorium, you will NOT be paying the bank a single cent. So the banks will generally charge you compounding interest – interest will be charged on the interest accrued to date.
The bank will charge you about RM 10,720 in accrued, compounded interest at the end of six months.
At the end of the 6-month loan moratorium, the bank will add this EXTRA interest and restructure your loan, and you resume paying your new monthly instalments.
Step 3 : Calculate The EXTRA Interest For The Full Term
To calculate how much it will cost you at the end of your loan (now extended by 6 months), you need to use one of the many loan amortisation Excel templates or online calculators.
Just fill in the details, with and without the extra interest, and you will get the total interest at the end of the 30-year loan.
For your convenience, here is the table we came up with :
|No Moratorium||With Moratorium|
|Loan Principal||RM 500,000||RM 500,000|
|Loan Period||360 Months||366 Months|
|Extra Interest||–||RM 10,719.06|
|New Loan Principal||RM 500,000||RM 510,719.06|
|New Monthly Instalment||RM 2,459.70||RM 2,492.08|
|Total Interest||RM 385,491.80||RM 401,382.22|
|TOTAL||RM 885,491.80||RM 912,101.28|
|DIFFERENCE||Baseline||+ RM 26,609.48|
If you opt-out of the loan moratorium, you will end up paying RM 885,491.80 by the end of the loan.
If you take the loan moratorium, you will pay RM 912,101.28 – an additional RM 26,609.48.
Step 4 : Calculate The Nett Cost To You
That sounds like a lot, doesn’t it? But wait a minute – did you forget the money you pocketed in beginning?
If you kept it in your house, under your mattress, you will end up paying interest on it for 366 months at 4.25% per annum.
But if you use 6-month instalment to invest (Seed Money) for the full term of 366 months, you can potentially MAKE MONEY from it. Take a look :
|EPF (5% pa)||ASM (5.5%)||ASB (8.5%)|
|After 366 Months||+ RM 31,611.02||+ RM 67,601.53||+ RM 78,686.08||+ RM 195,421.78|
|Seed Money||– RM 14,758.20||– RM 14,758.20||– RM 14,758.20||– RM 14,758.20|
|Gross Profit / Loss||+ RM 16,852.82||+ RM 52,843.33||+ RM 63,927.88||+ RM 180,663.58|
|Extra Interest||– RM 26,609.48||– RM 26,609.48||– RM 26,609.48||– RM 26,609.48|
|NETT Profit / Loss||– RM 9,756.66
– 3.54% p.a.
|+ RM 26,233.85
+ 3.35% p.a.
|+ RM 37,318.48
+ 4.14% p.a.
|+ RM 154,054.10
+ 8.01% p.a.
Now, putting it into FD will result in a LOSS, so you should only do that if you plan to keep the money in reserve for emergencies, but want to minimise the loss. It will cut down the “cost” from RM 26.6K to just RM 9.8K.
But if you invest into anything more than the bank interest rate (we used 4.25% as an example), then you stand to make really substantial gains after 30.5 years.
- EPF : Nett profit of RM 26,233.85, which is more than 1.5X the seed amount (+178%).
- ASM : Nett profit of RM 37,318.48, which is 2.5X the seed amount (+253%).
- ASB : Nett profit of RM 154,054.10, which is more than 10X the seed amount (+1044%).
Go Back To > What’s The Financial Impact (First Page) | Home
- COVID-19 Found On Fruits & Vegetables Hoax Debunked!
- BNM Credit Card Term Loan Conversion : Worth It?
- BNM Hire Purchase Loan Deferment : Nothing To Lose!
- BNM Loan Moratorium / Deferment : Should You Accept It?
- What No One Is Telling You : EPF Is Not Enough!
- Why It’s Time To Start Saving For Your Retirement Fund!
- How To Calculate The Retirement Fund You NEED!
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : 1624 Cases, 106 New, 1 More Dead
- COVID-19 : Chloroquine Poisoning Kills One, Injures Others
- No, Alcohol In Hand Sanitiser Won’t Catch Fire!
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : 1518 Cases, 212 New, 4 More Dead!
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : 1306 Cases, 123 New, 2 More Dead!
- A Dark Day For Malaysia : HTF Doctor Dies From COVID-19
- US FDA Did NOT Approve Chloroquine For COVID-19 Yet
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!