Malaysia purchased enough Pfizer mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, to vaccinate about 6 million citizens in 2021.
Malaysia : 6 Million To Get Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine In 2021!
Malaysia just announced that they signed an agreement to purchase 12.8 million doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday, 24 November 2020.
The 12.8 million doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine will only ship in limited quantities in the first quarter of 2021, followed by three tranches over the rest of the year :
- Q1 2021 : 1 million doses
- Q2 2021 : 1.7 million doses
- Q3 2021 : 5.8 million doses
- Q4 2021 : 4.3 million doses
The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine requires two doses per person, so that’s only enough to vaccinate a maximum of 6.4 million people – approximately 20% of the Malaysian population.
Some of the doses are expected to go to waste, because of the difficult storage and usage requirements of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine. Distributing and administering this vaccine will be a logistical nightmare.
Vaccinating 20% of the population across the entire year is nowhere close enough to create herd immunity. So the Pfizer vaccine will likely play only a supporting role to other COVID-19 vaccines that are cheaper and easier to administer.
Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine : A Quick Primer
The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine is an mRNA-based vaccine, which teaches your cells to create proteins that mimic the SARS-CoV-2 virus, thereby triggering an immune response.
The Pfizer vaccine requires extreme refrigeration, which greatly complicates logistics :
- Every Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine thermal shipping box contains between 1,000 and 5,000 doses.
- Every shipping box is packed with specially-formulated dry ice, to last for up to 10 days, or 15 days if kept refilled with dry ice.
- When stored in special ultra-low temperature freezers at -70°C or lower, it will last up to 6 months.
- When stored in standard freezers (commonly used in hospitals) at 2-8°C, it will last up to 5 days.
Hence, vaccination using the Pfizer vaccine is likely to occur only in selected government hospitals in major cities.
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Avoid suspected cases or disease hotpots, like hospitals, if possible!
- Avoid public events and crowds
- Keep our hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep our home, office, vehicles, etc. clean
- If you need to wear a surgical mask, make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : COVID-19 : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- Uncle Don’s SS2 : Closed For Potential COVID-19 Exposure!
- CMCO Business Activities Extended To 12 AM, Except Sabah!
- COVID-19 Tests + Costs @ Government Health Facilities!
- Padini IOI Mall : Employee Positive For COVID-19!
- A Father’s Last Words Before Dying Of COVID-19…
- Nestle Malaysia : One Employee Positive For COVID-19!
- UNIQLO Empire Subang : Staff Positive For COVID-19!
- Is HKL Preparing For 3,000 New COVID-19 Cases A Day?
- Kelantan Under CMCO Lockdown Starting 21 November!
- Mydin Bukit Jambul Caught Man With COVID-19 Bracelet!
- Vintry Damansara : Two Employees Positive For COVID-19!
- Man With COVID-19 Bracelet Caught Outside Jelutong Market
- RM399 Laguna Redang Holiday : A Umance Scam?
- MKN : 3 People Now Allowed In Car During CMCO / PKPB
- MKN : No Special Seating / Face Mask Requirement In Car!
- RM4K Fine For Family Of 4 At Restaurant During CMCO?
- CMCO / PKPB Lockdown SOP for Peninsular Malaysia!
- Bayan Lepas Lady Caught Breaking COVID-19 Quarantine!
- Nikon Says Goodbye To Malaysia On 1 January 2021
- Fact Check : Car Seating SOP For CMCO / PKPB Lockdown?
- RM1K Fine For Sitting Next To Driver During CMCO / PKPB?
- Register With MySejahtera / Logbook, Or Get Fined RM1K!
- Malaysian AES + Speed Trap Camera Locations For 2020!
- Robbers Posing As KKM Officers Testing For COVID-19?
- Does Singapore Require You To Wear PPE Suits On Flights?
If you like our work, you can help support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!