Here are the latest Malaysian bank BR and BLR rates, as of May 2020, and estimates of how much you will save after the recent Bank Negara reduction in OPR!
Third OPR Reduction In 2020 : -0.5%
On 5 May 2020, Bank Negara announced the third OPR (Overnight Policy Rate) reduction in 2020 – a 50 point shave.
That means Bank Negara reduced a full percent off the OPR since the last change in May 2019 – one year ago.
What this means is property owners will get a reduction on the interest they pay on their property loans.
Fixed deposit interest rates, on the other hand, will be negatively impacted.
So a reduction in OPR is seen to “encourage” investment and spending.
Latest Malaysian Bank BR + BLR Rates @ May 2020
|Bank||Base Lending Rate (BLR)||Base Rate (BR)||Effective|
Financial Impact Of This BR / BLR Reduction
Let’s take a look at the financial impact of this 0.5% reduction in the BR and BLR rates :
Here is an estimate of how much lower your monthly instalment will become, and how much you will save after 1 year :
|Monthly||RM 2,533.43||RM 2,387.08||– RM 146.35 (5.78%)|
|After 1 Year||RM 30,401.16||RM 28,644.96||– RM 1,756.20|
This may seem like an insignificant amount of money, but should you continue to pay the old instalment of RM 2,533.43 per month, it will actually shave THREE YEARS off your 30-year loan, and save you RM 94,942.83!
Of course, the BR and BLR rates are unlikely to remain so low for so many years… but let’s say it remains this low for just 3 years.
Here is an estimate of how much you will save in interest over the next 3 years, assuming the BR and BLR rates remain so low :
|After 1 Year||RM 22,334.99||RM 19,839.74||– RM 2,495.25|
|After 2 Years||RM 44,299.41||RM 39,320.73||– RM 4,978.68|
|After 3 Years||RM 65,876.26||RM 58,428.38||– RM 7,447.88|
On average, you should save about RM 200 per month in interest for a RM 500,000 loan with an interest rate of 4.5%.
Now, RM 7,447.88 isn’t a lot of money over 3 years, but if you can invest that money or just plow the money back into your property loan, that will generate you A LOT of money over time :
- 4% pa for 20 years : RM 16,553.52
- 5% pa for 20 years : RM 20,203.42
- 4% pa for 30 years : RM 24,678.54
- 5% pa for 30 years : RM 33,275.22
- Scam Alert : Fake PS4 Promotions On Facebook!
- GrabPay Scam Alert : Be Careful Of FAKE Friends!
- AirAsia Unlimited Pass Gets Extended To June 2021!
- Hire Purchase Loan Moratorium : Two U-Turns = No Charges!
- Why Such Long Queues At Pawn Shops On CMCO Day 1?
- Bank Negara Hire Purchase Loan Deferment : What Changed?
- Activities Forbidden In Malaysia During Economic Reopening!
- Fact Check : SGH Bills $192,068 For COVID-19 Treatment 😱
- COVID-19 in Malaysia : New Business Restrictions Lifted!
- Ji Shan Foundation Charity Scam Exposed!
- Charity Scam : Current List Of 79 Reported Scammers!
- How To Get + Pay Your TNB Bill During COVID-19 MCO
- MITI FAQ On Business Ops Allowed During MCO
- McDonald’s Malaysia Voucher Scam EXPOSED!
- Business Ops Allowed During MCO : Full List + Requirements!
- Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) : SMS Scam Alert
- 6-Month Loan Moratorium : Why You Should TAKE It!
- BNM Credit Card Term Loan Conversion : Worth It?
- BNM Hire Purchase Loan Deferment : Nothing To Lose!
- BNM Loan Moratorium / Deferment : Should You Accept It?
- Lim Guan Eng – Bitcoin Revolution Hoax Exposed!
- Malaysia NATIONWIDE COVID-19 Restrictions : Full Details!
- AirAsia Unlimited Pass : Destinations + Embargo Dates!
- AirAsia Unlimited Pass : How To Plan + Book Your Flights!
- AirAsia Unlimited Pass : NOT Worth The Hassle!
- What No One Is Telling You : EPF Is Not Enough!
- Tesco 101st Anniversary Scam Exposed!
- Why It’s Time To Start Saving For Your Retirement Fund!
- How To Calculate The Retirement Fund You NEED!
If you like our work, support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!