Malaysians should be aware about the Maybank personal loan scam. Our friend, Sabrina Tan, personally experienced it back in 2017, and it’s still going on!
She shared the experience with us to help warn everyone about this scam. Please read her post, and share it out!
Don’t forget to check out our coverage of the Alliance Bank & CIMB Phone Scam too!
The Maybank Personal Loan Scam
The Maybank personal loan scam targeted Sabrina on the morning of 15 March 2017. Fortunately, she didn’t fall for it. Check out her original post :
According to the Maybank staff members whom she contacted later, several people have been targeted by the same scam.
Although she did not go beyond the initial call, most likely they will ask for the outstanding amount and a fine to be banked into their account.
Spoofed Maybank Telephone Number
Sabrina shared with us a screenshot of Tony Kim’s loan scam call, which took just over 12 minutes.
Tony the scammer used a local number (03-2599-1888) to convince people that they are genuine. This number is very similar to the Maybank HQ number (03-2059-1888).
However, the number is not in service. The Maybank sales manager who attended to Sabrina tried calling the number, and so did we.
It was obviously a spoofed number. They were calling from another number but made it look like the call came from 03-2599-1888.
Even so, the telco can trace the real origin of the call. That would require a warrant from the police. We hope the PDRM will look into the matter and try tracing the call.
Banks should also be more proactive. They can install trap lines that use Automatic Number Identification to detect the actual telephone number, instead of relying on Caller ID.
Perhaps this is something Bank Negara should look into. They need to actively pursue these scammers, instead of just advising people they have been scammed… after they report being scammed.
Share & Warn Everyone About This Loan Scam!
This scam has the potential to cost the victim a few thousand ringgit. So please warn your family and friends about this scam. Share this article as widely as possible.
And if you receive a similar call, please report it to Maybank, Bank Negara and the police.
This Loan Scam Will Keep Getting Recycled
Even though Maybank put out a notice about this loan scam, it is inevitable that some people would have been scammed.
Sadly, this is an effective scam that the authorities can’t seem to crack down on. So criminals will keep trying the same loan scam, targeting different banks and with different scary messages.
So it is important that EVERYONE is made aware of such loan scams, and to directly call the bank to verify such messages, BEFORE doing anything else.
- The Secret Of Coating Fried Food In Plastic Revealed!
- Dabbing : Does It Turn Teenagers Into Devil Worshippers?
- The Shanghai Disneyland Robot Dancer Hoax Debunked!
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked!
- The Famous Jesus Tree Of Lebanon Miracle Explained!
- The Canola Oil Bullshit By Anya Vien Debunked!
- The Zota Tissue Paper Tablet Scare – The Truth & Facts!
- Steve Jobs’ Last Words – The Hoax & The Truth!
- The Brazilian Pastor’s Holy Milk Hoax Debunked!
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Did Al Franken Get A Jew Call Warning Of 9/11 Attacks?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
- Princeton University Warns Of Cancer Risk From Fridge Magnets
- Kinder Joy wax coating causes cancer?
If you like our work, you can help support out work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!