Maybank just officially announced that it will fully migrate from SMS OTP to Secure2u, as part of efforts to crack down on scams!
Here is what you need to know…
Maybank To Fully Migrate SMS OTP To Secure2u!
On 28 September 2022, Maybank officially announced that it will fully migrate from SMS OTP to Secure2u, as part of efforts to crack down on scams!
By June 2023, all online activities or transactions involving account opening, fund transfers and payments, as well as changes to personal information or account settings, will require Secure2u authentication.
This announcement came after Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) ordered banks to migrate from the SMS OTP (One Time Password) to more secure authentication methods.
Details Of How Maybank Secure2u Will Replace SMS OTP
Secure2u isn’t new. It was introduced in April 2017 as a more secure way for Maybank customers to authorise Maybank2u and MAE transactions using Secure Verification (one-tap approval) and Secure Transaction activation codes (a 6-digit TAC number generated in the app), as an alternate to SMS OTP.
Maybank also revealed some details of how Secure2u will be enhanced as it replaces SMS OTP :
- Only one Secure2u device will be allowed per account holder (customer) to minimise the possibility of compromise by a third party
- Maybank will alert the customer by SMS, a push notification, and an email when Secure2u is registered on a new device.
- In Q4 2022, Maybank will introduce a cooling-off period whenever customers enable Secure2u on a different device. This cooling-off period will give customers the opportunity to verify and report to the bank in case of any unauthorised Secure2u registration on a new device.
In addition to Secure2u, Maybank is heeding BNM’s call for tightened fraud detection rules and triggers, and has in place a call-back verification process to alert customers of suspicious transactions.
Maybank Advice On Fighting Scam
Maybank has a dedicated 24/7 hotline for customers to report financial scams at +603-5891-4744. Customers are advised to call the hotline immediately, as soon as they suspect that their banking details have been compromised, or whenever they notice suspicious transactions, so their bank accounts can be suspended swiftly.
Alternatively, customers can also contact the general Maybank Customer Care Hotline at 1-300-88-6688 to report scams / fraud, or to seek assistance in suspending their bank accounts.
Finally, here are some tips from Maybank on how to protect yourself while using online platforms:
- Avoid installing/downloading apps/Android Package Kit (APK) files or clicking on suspicious links sent via chat messages such as SMS, WhatsApp, Messenger or other similar services.
- Do not provide permission for any app to send or view your SMSes.
- Do not ignore any warnings from your devices, especially when downloading or installing a new file.
- Do not enter your banking details, especially username or password, in any suspicious apps or websites.
- Always keep your antivirus software updated for constant protection.
- Only download apps from the genuine app stores such as Apple App Store, Google Play Store or Huawei AppGallery and not from a link.
- Be alert if you are being prompted to download a file that is not compatible with your device i.e.: iPhone/iPad device being asked to use an Android device to download a file.
- Always look out for your online banking security image and phrase (i.e.: Maybank2u security image and phrase), to ensure the website and app are legitimate.
- Do not root or jailbreak your device.
- Update your mobile device’s operating system (OS) and apps regularly.
Finally, we must all remember to NEVER share with anyone (not even bank employees) details of our bank accounts.
Please SHARE this article and these security tips with your family and friends!
- Xi Calls For Rejuvenation, Squashing Coup Rumours!
- Paul Ryder : Cause Of Death NOT Vaccine SADS!
- Banks Asked To Stop Using SMS OTP To Fight Scams!
- CCP Congress Delegates Elected Amid Coup Rumours!
- Are Robbers Pretending To Be Government Officers?!
- Did DJ Jamie Roy Die From Vaccine SADS?!
If you like our work, please support us by visiting our sponsors, or donating to our fund. Thank you!