Does the National Cancer Institute (Institut Kaiser Negara) in Putrajaya offer free medication, and cheap chemotherapy?
Take a look at the viral claim, and find out what the FACTS really are!
Updated @ 2023-04-06 : Updated article with new details
Originally posted @ 2021-11-06
Claim : National Cancer Institute Offers Free Meds + Cheap Chemo!
This message has been circulating on WhatsApp for many years, but keeps going viral almost every year!
Recommended : Malaysia COVID-19 Booster Dose Policy : 4 Jan 2023!
Truth : National Cancer Institute Offer Is Fake News!
The viral message has been going around since 2016, and is FAKE NEWS. Let’s take a look at the facts…
Fact #1 : National Cancer Institute Was Established In 2013
The National Cancer Institute (Institut Kanser Negara) began operations on 2 September 2013, providing world-class treatments and healthcare for cancer patients.
That ties in with the first circulation of this fake message around 2016, which claims that the hospital is less than 3 years old.
Fact #2 : National Cancer Institute Is A Public Hospital
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) is a public hospital under the Malaysia Ministry of Health (KKM). Therefore, it is no surprise that it provides treatments at highly affordable rates.
However, it is misleading to refer people to the National Cancer Institute for free medication and cheap chemotherapy, because the NCI charges the SAME RATES as other KKM public hospitals!
Fact #3 : Charges Are All Wrong
As mentioned in Fact #3, the National Cancer Institute charges the same rates as other public hospitals.
The NCI website even refers patients to the Malaysia Ministry of Health’s page on hospital charges, which will show you that the fees mentioned are wrong :
- Each chemotherapy treatment costs RM200 for First Class, RM100 for Second Class, and just RM50 for Third Class.
- A private room with air-conditioning costs RM120 per day.
- A private room without air-conditioning costs RM90 per day.
- A twin-sharing room, without air-conditioning costs RM60 per day.
The prices mentioned above are accurate as of 6 April 2023. Back in October 2021, those prices were even lower!
- A private room with air-conditioning costs RM80 per day.
- A private room without air-conditioning costs RM60 per day.
- A twin-sharing room, without air-conditioning costs RM40 per day.
Recommended : No More Cash Payment At KKM Hospitals + Clinics!
Fact #4 : NCI Called The Post “Fabricated” And “Baseless”
The Director of the National Cancer Institute actually issued a press release on 18 August 2016, which labelled the post as “fabricated” and “baseless”.
Fact #5 : Institut Kanser Negara Director Is Dr. Mohd Anis
As of April 2023, the Director (Pengarah) of Institut Kanser Negara is Dr. Mohd Anis bin Haron, not Dr. Asmayani bent Khalib.
Dato’ Dr. Asmayani binti Khalib is currently the Deputy Director of Health (Medical) of the Malaysia Ministry of Health.
Please help us FIGHT FAKE NEWS by sharing this fact check article out, and please SUPPORT our work!
- Did Buckingham Palace Seize Prince Harry’s Properties?!
- 2023 / 2024 Malaysia School Term + Holiday Calendar!
- Is Rose Hanbury Now Royalty, Replacing Kate Middleton?!
- Did Lucy Liu Just Die In A Training Accident?!
- Prince William Wants Rose Hanbury To Join Royal Family?!
If you like our work, please support us by visiting our sponsors, or donating to our fund. Thank you!