It is said that hoaxes never die, they just get reborn again and again. The hoax that Panadol kills vultures and is toxic to humans has been around for ages. We debunked it in this Tech ARP forum post in 2011, but it’s been revived again. Let’s take a look at the hoax, which amazingly hasn’t changed since we last saw it in 2011 :
Panadol, when we were in Mumbai (India) a learned History professor there told us that the Parsees (A sect in India) used to take their Dead & lay them to rest @ huge ‘Wind Towers’ (round structures that Look like Giant Water reservoirs, but open to the air)..
The Parsees never buried their dead, nor burned them. They leave them to the Birds of Prey (Vultures) to be eaten thus completing the Life Cycle.. Around 10 years ago, it was noticed that the Birds are dying off. Not many of them were left to consume the dead bodies (which started rotting away)…
So, the Parsees had to change this mode of dealing with their dead… BUT, they wanted to know why a Custom that survived for hundreds of years had to be suspended?!!
They did Autopsies on Dead Birds (they were dying in huge #’s)..What was the Culprit??? PARACETAMOL (aka PANADOL)…..!!
People started consuming pain-killers a decade ago, Panadol STAYS in the Liver for a Long Time…It ultimately accumulated in the Birds’ systems & they couldnt cope with it!
[su_expand more_text=”Click to read more of the hoax” height=”0″ hide_less=”yes” link_align=”center”]
Interesting to know………..
My husband was working in a hospital as an IT engineer, as the hospital is planning to set up a database of its patients and he knows some of the doctors quite well. The doctors used to tell him that whenever they have a headache, they are not willing to take PANADOL / PARACETAMOL.
In fact, they will turn Herbal Medicine or find other alternatives. This is because Panadol is toxic to the body, and it harms the liver. According to the doctor:
Panadol will remain in the body for at least 5 years…..!!
And according to the doctor, there was an air-hostess who consumed lots of Panadol as she needed to stand all the time and work under lots of pressure. She’s now in her early 30’s, and she is undergoing kidney cleaning (DIALYSIS) every month.
Whenever we have a headache, that’s because it is due to the electron / Ion imbalance in the brain.
Some alternative solution to cope with this matter is
Drink lots of water.
Another method will be to submerge your feet in a basin of warm water so that it brings the blood pressure down from your throbbing head.
As Panadol is a pain killer, the more Panadol you take, the lesser would be your threshold for pain (your endurance level for pain). We all will fall ill as we age.
Imagine that we had spent our entire life popping quite a substantial amount of Panadol (Pain Killer), when you need to have a surgery or operation, you will need a much more amount of general anaesthesia.
The thought is scary enough to turn me to Herbal Medicine or other healthier al ternative. Value your health, value your life, THINK TWICE before you easily pop that familiar pill into your mouth again.
Please don’t take too much PANADOL
We will debunk this hoax that Panadol kills vultures and humans once again, but first, a short clarification of what Panadol is.
Originally posted @ 2015-10-04
Updated @ 2017-01-16 : Added a new section on the real cause of vulture deaths in India. Made various other minor changes.
Panadol = Tylenol
Panadol is a GSK (GlaxoSmithKline) trade name for paracetamol. Due to its longevity and popularity since it was introduced in 1955, the name Panadol has been genericised. Many people use it to refer to paracetamol, irrespective of it comes from GSK or another company.
Paracetamol is also known as acetaminophen in the United States, Canada, Japan, Venezuela and Columbia. In those countries, particularly in the United States and Canada, it’s known generically as Tylenol. In other words :
Paracetamol = Panadol = Tylenol = Acetaminophen
Now, let’s debunk this hoax that Panadol kills vultures and humans!
Panadol Kills Vultures (And Humans)?
The ancient ritual of the Parsis giving their dead a “sky burial” is dying due to a near extinct vulture population. The vultures in the Indian state of Maharashtra have been virtually wiped out in a matter of a few decades. Across India, the white-rumped vultures that used to number 80 odd million have been reduced to a few thousand.
What killed the vultures was finally ascertained, in 2003, to be the anti-inflammatory drug – diclofenac.
Diclofenac is very commonly used in India to treat fever, pain, aches from diseases and wounds. It is also commonly administered to livestock for the same purposes. However, diclofenac is lethal to vultures. Eating from a carcass of an animal that had been treated with diclofenac recently is often enough to kill them.
Diclofenac is so toxic to vultures that scientists estimate that if only 1% of animal carcasses are contaminated with diclofenac, it will decimate the vulture population. Unfortunately, a later study showed that 10% of the animal carcasses were contaminated with diclofenac, which would explain why the vulture population were destroyed so rapidly.
So, no, Panadol did not kill the vultures. It was diclofenac. That’s why Indian, Nepal and Pakistan banned the veterinary use of diclofenac in 2006, and replaced it with meloxicam which is not toxic to vultures.
Will Paracetamol Kill Us Or Destroy Our Kidneys / Liver / Health?
Paracetamol is rapidly metabolized with a half-life of about 2 hours. That’s why we find ourselves taking paracetamol up to 4 times a day. If paracetamol can stay in the body for 5 years, heck, you would only need one dose and it would last for the next few years!
The funniest part of the hoax is the claim that doctors refuse to take paracetamol for headaches, and prefer herbal medicine instead. It’s such an unbelievably bold LIE. Doctors take paracetamol for their ailments all the time, which can be verified because they would have prescribed it to themselves!
I personally prefer to trust the known effects and properties of paracetamol to the unknown effects and properties of herbal medicine. I have been using paracetamol for DECADES and have given my children paracetamol for their fevers too. Would I do that if I didn’t think it was safe?
To be sure, paracetamol (like any other substances) can be toxic when taken in excessive amounts. Even water can be toxic, for the matter. Overdosing on paracetamol can damage the liver. Excessive amounts of its metabolite, NAPQI, will deplete the liver’s glutathione and damage its cells.
How much do you need to consume to overdose on paracetamol? Usually taking 10 grams at one go – that’s 20 tablets of standard 500 mg paracetamol, or 6 grams or 12 tablets a day. Alcohol consumption increases the risks of liver damage, so the maximum dose should be cut in half for those who consume alcohol.
Excessive, prolonged use of paracetamol can also cause SICK (small, indented and calcified kidneys). How much is excessive? That’s 300 grams a year – 600 tablets a year, or 50 tablets a month.
Now, how many of us actually consume enough paracetamol to run the risk of liver or kidney damage? Everyone knows the recommended limit is 2 tablets every 6 hours, which is 4 grams per day. Usually, we all make do with just 2 to 4 tablets a day.
The writer is right that we should think twice before popping a pill into our mouths, but we should also think TWICE and think HARD about the truth of any forwarded e-mail that comes our way.
Share this with your family and friends so they won’t get fooled!
If you like our work, you can help support out work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!