Which do you think is the CORRECT term – Peniaga Sekendhend or Peniaga Barang Terpakai?
Peniaga Sekendhend or Peniaga Barang Terpakai?
This renewal application form for a business licence to sell used or second hand goods has gone viral.
It used the loanword “sekendhend” instead of the usual “barang terpakai”.
Elton Tan, who spotted it, had this to say about this odd use of the word sekendhend :
Hoi!!! Peniaga Barangan Terpakai lah… And you fellas have the guts to scold we cinapeks don’t know how to use proper Bahasa Malaysia. Piiiiii lah!! Please don’t memalukan we Malaysians can or not? You don’t even know how to use proper Bahasa words. Buat malu aje!
So which is the correct Bahasa Melayu term for a second hand goods dealer?
a) Peniaga Sekendhend?
b) Peniaga Barang Terpakai?
Dewan Bahasa & Pustaka : Sekendhend Is Not Legit, But Sekenhen Is
According to Dewan Bahasa & Pustaka, the word sekendhend does not exist, but sekenhen exists and is an actual, accepted word in Bahasa Melayu!
In other words, sekendhend is wrong, but sekenhen is correct.
Sekendhend : A Historical Loan Word?
Akta 189 (Act 189) is actually called Second-Hand Dealers Act 1946.
It appears to have been directly translated in 1946 to Akta Peniaga Sekenhend 1946, although newer editions appear to use the title, Akta Peniaga Barang-Barang Terpakai 1946.
So, the word itself has likely been used as far back as the 1940s, albeit as sekenhend, and not sekendhend.
- Melaka Lady Broke Quarantine For Deepavali Shopping
- Scan MySejahtera At Petrol Station, Or Get RM1K Fine?
- CMCO / PKPB Lockdown SOP for Peninsular Malaysia!
- KL, Putrajaya + 8 States : CMCO Lockdown Until 6 December!
- IKEA Damansara : Closed After Potential COVID-19 Case!
- Tesco Mutiara Damansara : Reopens After 48 COVID Cases!
- Bayan Lepas Lady Caught Breaking COVID-19 Quarantine!
- Komugi 1 Utama : Closed After Staff Positive For COVID-19!
- Nikon Says Goodbye To Malaysia On 1 January 2021
- Bayan Lepas in Penang : CMCO / PKPB on 6 November!
- KPJ Penang : Patient + 8 Frontliners Positive For COVID-19
- Seremban CMCO / PKPB Starts On 5 November 2020!
- 7 Eleven @ M City Ampang : Staff Positive For COVID-19!
- Royal Selangor Golf Club : 5th Case, Members Please Get Tested!
- Are There 50 COVID-19 Cases In Tesco Mutiara Damansara?
- Dr Noor Hisham Was NOT Asked To Fake COVID-19 Cases!
- Many Shops In Johor Bahru Closed Because Of COVID?
- No, Malaysia Airlines Is NOT Being Liquidated!
- Fact Check : Car Seating SOP For CMCO / PKPB Lockdown?
- RM1K Fine For Sitting Next To Driver During CMCO / PKPB?
- Register With MySejahtera / Logbook, Or Get Fined RM1K!
- Malaysian AES + Speed Trap Camera Locations For 2020!
- Robbers Posing As KKM Officers Testing For COVID-19?
- Does Singapore Require You To Wear PPE Suits On Flights?
If you like our work, you can help support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!