Public Health England just confirmed that the Pfizer and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective against the Delta (Indian) variant!
Here is what you need to know about this exciting new development!
Pfizer + AstraZeneca Vaccines Effective Against Delta Variant!
On 14 June 2021, Public Health England (PHE) announced that their initial analysis showed for the first time that “2 doses of COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective against hospitalisation from the Delta (B.1.617.2) variant.”
- the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 96% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses
- the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is 92% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses
This means both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines have similar effectiveness against the Delta (Indian) variant, as they do against the Alpha (UK) variant.
However, this is only true if you receive both doses. Their earlier analysis showed that a single dose is 17% less effective at preventing symptomatic illness.
To help you better understand the data, I summarised the effectiveness of the two COVID-19 vaccines against hospitalisation in this table :
|1 Dose||2 Doses||1 Dose||2 Doses|
The key takeaway from this analysis is very straightforward – we must get vaccinated with both doses to gain maximum protection against these variants of concern (VOCs).
As Dr. Mary Ramsay (Head of Immunisation at PHE) said, “These hugely important findings confirm that the vaccines offer significant protection against hospitalisation from the Delta variant.”
“It is absolutely vital to get both doses as soon as they are offered to you, to gain maximum protection against all existing and emerging variants.”
Vaccines Effective But Not Foolproof Against Delta Variant
It certainly is very encouraging to see that both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines offer such robust protection against both Alpha and Delta variants of COVID-19.
However, even if you get vaccinated with both doses, there is still a small risk of getting hospitalised with a COVID-19 infection.
You just need to take the 86% to 96% protection offered by the vaccines to 100% by taking COVID-19 precautions :
- Avoid crowds and public, enclosed spaces
- Social distancing as much as possible
- Wear a face mask in public, making sure to wear and take it off properly.
- Maintain physical distancing in public
- Maintain good hand hygiene
This will be necessary until we achieve herd immunity. So please encourage everyone to get vaccinated, and make sure they get both doses (if they are getting a 2-dose vaccine).
Recommended : COVID-19 Vaccine Breakthrough : What You Need To Know!
Help Support My Work!
Name : Adrian Wong
Credit Card / Paypal : https://paypal.me/techarp
Bank Transfer : CIMB 7064555917 (Swift Code : CIBBMYKL)
Thank you in advanced! ❤️
- Malaysia Approves CanSino + J&J COVID-19 Vaccines!
- Warning : Viral SPM 2020 Grading Scale Is Misleading!
- PDRM : Who Is Allowed To Pass A Police Roadblock?
- Giant Kota Damansara : Multiple COVID-19 Cases!
- No Need To Update MySejahtera Daily, Fines Cancelled!
- RM2K Fine For Not Updating MySejahtera Status Every Day?
- SPM + SVM 2021 Examinations Delayed To 2022!
- PdPR (Online Learning) For All Schools Until July 2021!
- CERDIK Initiative Will Only Distribute ⅓ Laptops By June 2021!
- Did Pahang Man Get COVID-19 From Courier Package?
- Malaysia Approves AstraZeneca Vaccine By Siam Bioscience!
- MCO 3.0 Total Lockdown SOP : 3 June 2021 Update!
- Malaysian AES + Speed Trap Camera Locations For 2020!
- Did China Create These Amazing Dancing Robots?
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
If you like our work, you can support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!