The Rasam antidote for the Wuhan coronavirus, the Nipah virus and the SARS coronavirus, is being shared on social media.
We are debunking it today because it’s not only complete bullshit, sharing this hoax will put people’s lives in danger.
Instead of sharing their fake story, please slap them silly so they will wake the fuck up!
Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses : What Is It?
This particular hoax was written by a Norman Fernandez – likely a nom de guerre. Check out what he/she wrote :
It may seem really silly, but people actually believe it and are sharing it to convince other people that they will be safe from the Wuhan coronavirus, if they just consume rasam.
Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses : Why It’s A Hoax
This debunking is for all those Google doctors who quip, “Check your facts before denying the truth!” when they are told that this is false.
To make it easier for these Google doctors to understand, let’s break down the lies in easy-to-digest bits.
Lie #1 : Drinking rasam will keep you safe from the Nipah virus
Obviously, there is no research into the effectiveness of rasam in preventing the Nipah virus, because there is simply no reasonable mechanism of action for rasam to protect against a viral infection.
But because rasam is very commonly consumed in India and Bangladesh, one would expect them to be virtually immune to the Nipah virus.
Yet, both India and Bangladesh were hit by the Nipah virus for many years :
- January 2001 : 66 cases, 49 deaths in Siliguri, India
- April 2001 : 13 cases, 9 deaths in Meherpur, Bangladesh
- January 2003 : 12 cases, 8 deaths in Naogaon, Bangladesh
- February 2004 : 22 cases, 17 deaths in Bangladesh
- April 2004 : 30 cases, 18 deaths in Bangladesh
- May 2018 : 15 cases, 13 deaths in Kerala, India
- July 2018 : 19 cases, 17 deaths in Kerala, India
- May 2019 : 1 case in Kerala, India
In fact, the Nipah virus is FAR MORE prevalent in India and Bangladesh, than Singapore and Malaysia, where it was first discovered but suffered only one outbreak in 1998/1999.
Lie #2 : No Indian has ever been struck by SARS (because Indians consume rasam)
About 19 Indian citizens were reported to be infected with SARS in 2003, with the first confirmed case in April 2003.
So that puts paid to the claim that no Indian citizen was ever struck by SARS. It is safe to say that all the rasam they consumed did not stop them from getting infected with SARS.
Recommended : Wuhan Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
Lie #3 : Eating wild meat is the reason for new deadly viruses
Ignoring for the moment that one man’s meat is another man’s poison, the trope that new viruses are created from the CONSUMPTION of wild meat has been debunked many times.
- Ebola was once thought to be caused by the eating of bat meat in Guinea, but has been traced to Child Zero, who was infected by fruit bat droppings.
- SARS was once thought to be caused by the consumption of civet cat meat, but has been traced to horseshoe bats from a remote cave in Yunnan.
- MERS was once thought to be caused by the consumption of camel meat, but has been confirmed to spread from live camels to humans through close contact.
- Some people claim that the Nipah virus was caused by the consumption of pork, but has been confirmed to originate from food or water contaminated by bats.
What can actually cause the emergence of viruses isn’t the fact that the Chinese are fond of eating exotic animals, but rather – their close proximity to these animals – that increases the risk of their diseases evolving to infect humans as well.
Lie #4 : Deadly viruses keep originating in China
Well, let’s take a look at the origins of new zoonotic diseases :
- Ebola : Yambuku, Congo
- SARS : Yunnan, China
- MERS : Saudi Arabia
- Nipah : Perak, Malaysia
Zoonotic viruses arise wherever there is close contact between animals and humans. It is not an exclusively Chinese problem.
Lie #5 : There is a Chinese version of rasam, called lasam
As a frequent purveyor of Chinese restaurants, I have never seen any offering rasam or lasam.
In fact, it would be IDIOTIC for any Chinese restaurant to offer lasam, because the word means dirty in the Hokkien dialect.
Lie #6 : Chinese swap the letter R with the letter L, because they cannot pronounce R
Never mind its blatantly racist overtones, it’s an illogical and stupid claim. Just because some people cannot pronounce the letter R properly, they won’t just swap it with the letter L.
Do this Norman Fernandez really believe that the Chinese will replace every instance of the letter R with the letter L?
That’s how stupid the claim is. SO STUPID.
Lie #7 : You can keep safe by consuming rasam
Rasam is basically just kokum or tamarind juice with spices. There is nothing in rasam that will protect you from viral infections of any kind, much less the new Wuhan coronavirus, the Nipah virus, or SARS.
The Wuhan coronavirus is so new, scientists cannot yet confirm the modes of transmission, much less develop a cure or vaccine.
Yet this unknown person – Norman Fernandez – knows enough to declare rasam an antidote for the Wuhan coronavirus?
Who is Norman Fernandez, and what is the basis for his claim? No one, and none at all. This is just another fake story on social media.
If Not Rasam, How Do We Prevent Infection By The Wuhan Coronavirus?
Instead of believing a message on social media of unknown provenance and dubious accuracy, stick with advice from medical professionals.
Unlike this nobody Norman Fernandez, those doctors and scientists are putting their lives and reputations on the line in their bid to understand the Wuhan coronavirus, and find a way to beat it.
For now, the best way to protect yourselves from the Wuhan coronavirus would be to :
- STAY AWAY from anyone with symptoms like fever, dry cough, and breathing difficulties,
- maintain good hygiene by cleaning your hands with soap or a hand sanitiser
- wear a surgical mask or N95 respirator
- if you need to come in close contact with a patient, wear protective eyewear
Where To Buy Surgical Masks / Protective Glasses
if you need to buy surgical masks, please make sure they are proper 3-layer surgical masks, and not 2-ply face masks or fashion masks. Here are some online purchase options :
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
If you really want a cheap, cool-looking protective glasses that cover both ocular orbits, this is what I’m using – the Honeywell A700 safety glasses.
Here are some online purchase options if you are interested to get the Honeywell A700 as well :
- Malaysia : RM 11-15.99 | RM 19.90
- Singapore : S$5.62 | S$8.80
- US : $6.61 | S$6.79 | $7.37 | $7.69 | $7.84 | $7.98
- UK : £2.09 | £7.49
- AU : A$12.03 | A$12.42 | A$21.39 | A$33.96
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- Can Face Masks Protect Us Against The Flu / Influenza?
- How To Wear A Surgical Mask – The Hoax & The Truth!
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- New Nestle NANKID OPTIPRO Details + Sale!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
- Princeton University Warns Of Cancer Risk From Fridge Magnets
- Kinder Joy wax coating causes cancer?
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked
If you like our work, support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!