You can now renew your long-expired Malaysian driving licence without retaking your driving test!
Amnesty For Expired Driving Licence!
On Wednesday, 3 May 2023, Malaysia Transport Minister Anthony Loke announced an amnesty for those with expired driving licences. If you have a driving licence that expired as of January 1, 2018, you will be able to renew it without having to take a driving test.
Motorists with expired driving licences longer than a year will have until December 31, 2023, to renew their expired driving licences. The driving test requirement will apply again, from January 1, 2024 onwards.
The government decided to offer this amnesty because many Malaysian living abroad were unable to return during the COVID-19 pandemic to renew them.
This amnesty will also begin on Monday, May 8, and end on December 31, 2023. Please note that this initiative only applies to Malaysian citizens, and not to foreigners holding special passes like the MyKAS card.
In addition, only those who have not been blacklisted by the police, or have any existing restrictions imposed by JPJ, and are free from any suspension due to a conviction or court order may renew their expired driving licence.
Recommended : JPJ : Renew Driving Licence Or Retake Full Driving Test!
Earlier : Retake Driving Test If Licence Not Renewed On Time!
The Malaysia Road Transport Department (JPJ) had been warning motorists to renew their driving licences on time, or risk getting them revoked.
These are the four categories of expired licences that may be revoked, if they are not renewed in time :
- Learner’s Driving Licence (LDL) : Up to 2 years
- Probational Driving Licence (PDL) : More than 1 year
- Competent Driving Licence (CDL) : More than 3 years
- Public Service Vehicle / Goods Driving Licence (PSV / GDL) : More than 3 years
If your licence is revoked, you will need to undergo the full process to re-qualify and obtain a new licence.
The moratorium on revoking expired driving licences actually expired on 31 December 2021, but JPJ extended it to 30 June 2022 after discovering that hundreds of thousands of drivers have yet to renew their expired licences.
- Are Malaysia Mamak Restaurants Funding Zakir Naik?!
- Every Student In Malaysia To Get RM150 BAP Aid!
- H&M Fitting Room Hidden Camera Under Investigation!
- New 10% Sales Tax On Cheap Imports In April 2023!
- Are Push Pocket Criminals Targeting Tourists In KL?!
Support Tech ARP!