Find out how to renew your Malaysian passport online through the MyOnline Passport service!
Renew Your Malaysian Passport Online Using MyOnline Passport!
MyOnline Passport is a service by the Immigration Department of Malaysia, which allows you to renew your Malaysian passports online.
Ever since international borders reopened, there has been a massive backlog of people renewing their passports.
On 11 May 2022, the Immigration Department stopped allowing most people to walk-in for their passport renewal. Except for a selected group of people, everyone else must renew their passports online.
How To Renew Your Malaysian Passport Online!
The MyOnline Passport service was originally designed by the Immigration Department of Malaysia as a convenient, online way for people to renew their Malaysian international passports.
However, it is now the only way to renew your Malaysian passport for most people, from 11 May 2022 onwards. Here is what you need to know about the process.
Only For International Passport Renewals
The first thing you must be aware is that MyOnline Passport only applies to the renewal of existing international passports issued by the Immigration Department of Malaysia.
You cannot use it to apply for a new passport, or to replace a stolen or damaged passport. You also cannot use it to renew special or restricted passports.
To apply for a new passport, or to replace a stolen / damaged passport, or renew special or restricted passports, you must walk-in.
Children who are less than 13 years old, special needs individuals, and those performing the Haj, must also walk-in to renew their passports.
Who Can Apply For Online Passport Renewal?
The MyOnline Passport service is only open to applicants 13 years and older, with existing Malaysian e-passports (passport with microchip).
Underaged applicants (13-18 years old) must have the consent of their parent(s) / legal guardian(s) to apply online, and the parent(s) / legal guardian(s) must be present during the collection of passport.
Can Overseas Citizens Use MyOnline Passport?
This service is also open to Malaysian citizens living overseas, with collection centres in these countries :
- Australia : Canberra, Melbourne, Perth
- Hong Kong
- Indonesia : Jakarta
- United Kingdom : London
- United States : New York
It Now Takes 3 Working Days To Renew Passport!
If you submit the online application before 3 PM on a working day, you will be able to collect the new passport on the same day.
If you submit the online application after 3 PM on a working day, or anytime during a holiday, you can collect the new passport after 10 AM on the following working day.
However, due to the massive demand, the Immigration Department announced that you will get an email notification within 3 working days if your online renewal has been approved.
If you do not receive the notification after 3 working days, you may walk into the selected collection centre.
Where Do You Collect The Passport?
Applicants can collect their renewed passports from a Passport Recipient and Issuance Office of their choice, from a list in the system.
The collection date and time will be provided, depending on the date and time the application was submitted.
How Much Does It Cost?
The MyOnline Passport service is free. You only need to pay for the standard Malaysian international passport renewal fees :
- 13 to 59 Years Old : RM200
- Above 60 Years Old : RM100
Payment must be made via a credit card or debit card / direct debit (FPX) on the website.
Please Check Blacklist Before Applying!
Every online passport renewal application will be vetted against the Immigration Department’s blacklist.
So please check if you are on the Immigration Department’s blacklist before you even apply.
- Go to the Immigration Control Status Checking page.
- Key in your 12-digit MyKad identity card number (without dash).
- Click on the Check button.
If you get the green No restriction result, then you may apply to renew your passport online.
What Is Required To Submit An Application?
Here is what you need to have, before applying for online renewal of your Malaysian international passport.
- an existing Malaysia e-passport (passport with microchip) that is not defaced or water-damaged
- a digital passport-sized photo with these specifications :
a) background must be white, and without shadows (coloured backgrounds will not be accepted)
b) applicants must wear dark clothing that cover the shoulders and chest.
c) applicants who wear a scarf or hijab must wear dark-coloured scarf / hijab, and it must not cover the face.
d) uploaded photo must have been taken at a professional photo studio, in the format provided by the photo studio. Polaroid photos will not be accepted.
e) applications that do not meet these specifications will be put on-hold, resulting in delayed issuance and collection.
f) you may have your passport photo taken at the Passport Recipient and Issuance Office you selected to collect your passport, if your passport photo does not meet the required specifications
- a valid credit card / debit card / online bank account to make the required payment
In addition, you must be sure that :
- you are able to physically collect the new passport in-person (a representative may not collect for you)
- for underaged applicants : both applicant and parent(s) / legal guardian(s) must be present to collect the new passport
Passport Photo Specifications
Here are the latest specifications for online submission of passport photos :
- Background must be white and without shadows. Coloured backgrounds will not be accepted.
- Applicants are required to wear dark clothing that cover the shoulders and chest.
- Applicants may wear dark-coloured scarfs or hijabs but they must not cover the face.
- You must take the photo at a professional photo studio, and upload the soft copy in the format provided by the photo studio. Polaroid pictures will not be accepted.
If the photo you upload do not meet the specifications, your application will be put on-hold, and you will be asked to resubmit the photo, or get one taken at a passport office.
What Is Required To Collect Passport?
Finally, when it’s time to collect your renewed passport, please make sure you bring :
- your MyKad identification card
- your existing Malaysian international passport
- the payment receipt issued by the system
- for underaged applicants : your parent(s) / legal guardian(s) must bring your Birth Certificate
You cannot send a representative to collect your passport. If you fail to bring the necessary documents, or collect your passport in person, the renewed passport will not be released.
Underage applicants must be accompanied by their parent(s) / legal guardian(s), or their renewed passport will not be released.
How Do You Start The Process?
You can start the process on this MyOnline Passport page.
You may make multiple passport renewals, but you must submit one application per person.
Please avoid registering from 10:55 PM to 12:30 AM, because that’s when the system undergoes daily maintenance and no payment will not be processed during that time.
If You Get An Error Message…
If you get an error message while making payment, please contact your bank for further instructions.
If your photo was rejected, you can upload a new photo, or have your passport photo taken at the Passport Recipient and Issuance Office you selected to collect your passport.
If you get this error message – “Kindly contact the Immigration Department of Malaysia”, it means your online application was unsuccessful for one of these reasons :
- The file containing your fingerprint was damaged or deleted. You will be required to go to the passport office to have your fingerprint taken again, to avoid problems at the airport arrival / departure gates.
- Your application does not meet with the specifications listed on MyOnline Passport.
- The information provided was inaccurate, and/or contradicts the information in the Immigration Department system.
How To Resubmit Photo / Supporting Documents
If you need to resubmit your photo or supporting documents, please use these links :
How To Check Application Status
Please use this link to check your passport renewal status.
Please Support My Work!
Name : Adrian Wong
Bank Transfer : CIMB 7064555917 (Swift Code : CIBBMYKL)
Credit Card / Paypal : https://paypal.me/techarp
Dr. Adrian Wong has been writing about tech and science since 1997, even publishing a book with Prentice Hall called Breaking Through The BIOS Barrier (ISBN 978-0131455368) while in medical school.
He continues to devote countless hours every day writing about tech, medicine and science, in his pursuit of facts in a post-truth world.
- Did Hackers Steal + Release Pfizer, Moderna Vaccine Data?!
- These Photos Show What’s Inside The Azovstal Bunkers!
- Monkeypox Outbreak In 20 Countries : Is It A New Pandemic?
- Was Canadian General Kadier Arrested At Azovstal?!
- Did US Pay For COVID-19 Research Before It Even Existed?!
If you like our work, please support us by visiting our sponsors, or donating to our fund. Thank you!