Is there a rear seat belt fine of RM300 on the PLUS Highway?
Find out what’s going on, and what the FACTS really are!
Claim : RM300 Seat Belt Fine On PLUS Highway!
This is the viral message that has been circulating on SMS, WhatsApp and Facebook since early January 2021, but keeps getting reposted every holiday season.
The Truth : There Is No RM300 Seat Belt Fine
The truth is there is no RM300 fine for rear passengers who did not wear a seat belt.
Fact #1 : JSPT Refuted The Viral Claim
The Bukit Aman Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department (JSPT) refuted the claim that they would be checking cars travelling on the PLUS North-South Expressway in the evenings, and issuing a RM300 fine for those caught not wearing a seat belt at the back.
The JSPT Deputy Director SAC Datuk Mohd Nadzri Hussain said, “We at JSPT would like to advise all road users to continue complying with the laws and regulations to ensure the safety of every road user.”
“In addition, we would also like to urge the public to stop spreading fake information and to always ensure the validity of any viral information shared on social media sites.”
Fact #2 : Rear Seat Belt Mandatory Since 1 January 2009
It has been mandatory in Malaysia to wear a seat belt while seated in the back seat of a vehicle since 1 January 2009, except for :
- old vehicles registered before 1 January 1995
- vehicles registered on or after 1 January 1995 but lack rear anchorage points
- vehicles that seat more than 8 passengers (not including driver)
- good vehicles with carrying load of more than 3.5 tonnes
Fact #3 : Seat Belt Fine Is Way More Than RM300
Any driver or passengers, whether seated in the front or rear, caught not wearing a seat belt will be subject to :
- a fine of up to RM 2,000, and / or
- a prison sentence of up to 1 year
Fact #4 : RM300 Seat Belt Fine Ended In June 2009
For a 6 month period – from 1 January until 30 June 2009 – the police and JPJ only issued a reduced RM300 fine to those who did not wear a seat belt.
That “introductory fine” had long expired, so drivers are now subject to the much higher penalties.
- Reiner Fuellmich COVID-19 Grand Jury Debunked!
- Did Ukrainians Just Protest Against US Interference In Kyiv?!
- Test + Quarantine SOP For Travel To Malaysia, From 1 April!
- Test + Quarantine SOP For Travel To Malaysia, Until 31 March!
- Malaysia Will Reopen + Move Towards Endemic COVID-19!
If you like our work, please support us by visiting our sponsors, or donating to our fund. Thank you!