Did the second Penang Bridge get hit by giant tsunami waves, sweeping away a person?!
Find out what happened, and what the facts really are!
Claim : Tsunami Waves Hit Second Penang Bridge At 6PM Yesterday!
A video went viral on social media, claiming to show the Second Penang Bridge getting hit by giant tsunami waves.
Dramatically, a person appeared to be swept away by a giant wave, and a motorcyclist quickly fled another giant wave!
Fact : No Giant Waves Hit Second Penang Bridge!
The video is genuine, but it does NOT show giant tsunami waves hitting the Second Penang Bridge.
Fact #1 : This Bridge Is Too Small To Be Second Penang Bridge
In the main span, the Second Penang Bridge has a height clearance of 30 metres with a much lower 6 metre clearance for the rest of the bridge.
The Second Penang Bridge is also between 150 and 250 metres wide, with 4 car lanes and 2 motorcycle lanes.
The bridge in the video appears to be much shorter, with a 4 metre clearance; and much narrower – with just 2 lanes.
Fact #2 : No Report Of Any Tsunami Affecting Penang
There has been no earthquakes nearby, or reports of any tsunami affecting Penang.
The waves appear to be approximately 12-15 metres high would certainly have been big news.
Yet there is no mention of it in the mainstream media? Very suspect, no?
Fact #3 : This Is An Old Video
This video went last viral around 22-23 July 2020, when it was posted as evidence of giant waves hitting a bridge in Alaska after an earthquake there. However, that is fake news as well.
The earliest we could find was a December 2017 tweet, by a CNBC-AWAAZ anchor, Deepali Rana, who claimed that it was a video of the Bandra-Worli Sea Link. That is also false!
Fact #4 : The Video Was Recorded In Minicoy Island
The video was recorded on 23 August 2017, showing giant waves hitting the Eastern Jetty at Minicoy Island (Maliku), in Lakshadweep, India.
Here is a close-up shot of the Eastern Embarkation Jetty, with a surfer for size comparison.
- Pfizer + Moderna mRNA Vaccines : How Do They Work?
- Did China Create These Amazing Dancing Robots?
- Australian PM Scott Morrison Thought That Madonna Died?
- Did Donald Trump Mistake Maradona For Madonna? 😂
- Is HKL Preparing For 3,000 New COVID-19 Cases A Day?
- Foreign Workers Walking Around With COVID-19 Bracelets?
- Did Old Town White Coffee Use PORK In Curry Mee?!
- RM399 Laguna Redang Holiday : A Umance Scam?
- Was This Couple Fined For Sitting Together In Their Car?
- Dr Noor Hisham Was NOT Asked To Fake COVID-19 Cases!
- Many Shops In Johor Bahru Closed Because Of COVID?
- No, Malaysia Airlines Is NOT Being Liquidated!
- RM1K Fine For Sitting Next To Driver During CMCO / PKPB?
- Dr. Chong Yit Khang COVID-19 Warning : Yet Another Hoax!
- Can A Ringing Phone Cause A Gas Stove To Explode?
- Can You Cure A Heart Attack By Slapping The Elbow?
- The Shanghai Disneyland Robot Dancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Kashi Mining Company Scam Exposed!
- Why LPG Gas Tanks Have Different Pressures
- Why Morgue Employees Won’t Get Cremated By Mistake
- Fact Check : Is Petronas Cheating At The Pumps Again?
- New Malaysia SOP For Travelling Is FAKE, FAKE, FAKE!
- Quarantine Flouters : How Much Of A Risk Do They Pose?
- Dr. Fauci Did Not Write COVID-19 Essay, How Dare You?
- There Is NO Fine For Not Wearing Face Mask In Your Car!
- How To SAFELY Clean Our Phone + Watch Against COVID-19
Go Back To > Hoaxes & Scams
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!