A bill showing SGH (Singapore General Hospital) charging a patient over $192K for COVID-19 treatment is going viral on WhatsApp.
Find out what’s going on, and if it’s true that hospitals in Singapore are charging so much to treat COVID-19!
Claim : SGH Bills $192,068 For COVID-19 Treatment 😱
Circulating on WhatsApp was this message, accompanied by a bill of S$192,068 from SGH (Singapore General Hospital).
Here are the charges SGH apparently charged this COVID-19 patient for 9 days in a Class C ward and 18 days in the Class C ICU :
The total (which is NOT the final bill) comes up to S$180,143, because the patient had earlier paid SGH S$11,062.
The Truth : That Is Not For COVID-19 Treatment @ SGH
The SGH bill for a whopping S$192K is genuine, but it is NOT for the treatment of COVID-19.
It is actually the bill of a patient who is still in the ICU with severe aplastic anemia (SAA) and tuberculosis with severe pneumonia.
Because both the patient (Tan Wen Bin) and her husband are Chinese nationals, they do not receive the healthcare subsidies that Singaporean citizens and permanent resident receive.
The pictures were taken from their Give.Asia page, where they were asking for donations to help support her care until they are allowed to travel back to China.
COVID-19 Treatment Costs In Singapore
On 9 March 2020, the Singapore Ministry of Health announced the “prioritisation of resources at public hospitals”.
Here are their policies regarding COVID-19 treatment in public hospitals from 7 March 2020 onwards :
Singaporean Citizens, Permanent Residents + Long-Term Pass Holders
- Free COVID-19 tests + treatments
- Subsidised consultation and treatment at Public Health Preparedness Clinics
Foreigners with short-term visit passes (STVP)
- Free COVID-19 tests
- Must pay for COVID-19 treatments (expected between S$6,000 to S$8,000)
This was a reversal from their earlier policy on 12 February that the Singaporean government would pay the hospital bill IN FULL for COVID-19 treatment and tests in public hospitals, except for outpatient treatment at GP clinics or polyclinics.
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from the coronavirus :
- Avoid suspected cases or disease hotpots, like hospitals, if possible!
- Avoid public events and crowds
- Keep our hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep our home, office, vehicles, etc. clean
- If you need to wear a surgical mask, make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : COVID-19 : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- Ji Shan Foundation Charity Scam Exposed!
- Johor Causeway Will Be Limited To 7 AM-7 PM
- How To Get + Pay Your TNB Bill During COVID-19 MCO
- Why Face Masks Are CRITICAL To Prevent COVID-19
- #FilmYourHospital : Empty Hospitals Hoax Debunked!
- MITI FAQ On Business Ops Allowed During MCO
- New York Accidental Cremation Hoax Debunked!
- Doctor Died Taking Hydroxychloroquine To Prevent COVID-19
- Fact Check : Out-Of-Control Crowd @ Johor Bahru CIQ!
- Charity Scam : Current List Of 79 Reported Scammers!
- New COVID-19 Clusters Show The Danger Of Social Contact!
- CNBC COVID-19 Airborne Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Airborne Hoax Debunked : Japanese Doctor Edition!
- Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) : SMS Scam Alert
- COVID-19 : How To DIY Your Own Face Shields!
- No, Alcohol In Hand Sanitiser Won’t Catch Fire!
- A Dark Day For Malaysia : HTF Doctor Dies From COVID-19
- US FDA Did NOT Approve Chloroquine For COVID-19 Yet
- Tom Hanks Did NOT Die From COVID-19 : Hoax Debunked!
- American Soldier On Train Is Patient Zero Hoax Debunked!
- Donald Trump Fainted From Coronavirus Hoax Debunked!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!