People are claiming that the honorific title Sir really means Slave I Remain, and that it originated with the British who used it to mentally enslave the Indians.
No, not the American Indians. We are referring to the Indians from India. 😀
Let’s take a look at the claim that Sir = Slave I Remain, and find out if it’s true!
Sir Means Slave I Remain?
First, let’s check out the claim, grammatical error and all.
Sir Is Not An Acronym For Slave I Remain
No, the honorific Sir is not an acronym. It does not mean Slave I Remain.
In fact, it is a stupid claim, because such an acronym would mean the person with the honorific is the slave, not the master.
Don’t believe me? Take Sir Anthony Hopkins, for example.
What does Slave I Remain Anthony Hopkins sound like? It actually sounds like he is calling himself a slave to the English crown. Not a master of the Indian people.
The British Have Been Using Sir For Hundreds Of Years
Despite what the hoax creator claims, the honorific Sir did not originate during the British colonisation of India.
The use of the English Sir was first documented as a title for knighthood in the year 1297, with its Middle French progenitor Sire being in use for the same purpose since 1205.
That means the British have been using the honorific Sir for 460 years before the British East India Company took over Bengal, Bihar and Orissa.
Don’t Be Stupid I Remain (SIR)
Don’t worry if you got fooled by this hoax. Just be glad you now know the truth. But don’t be Stupid I Remain (SIR).
Stop sharing such hoaxes, and… SHARE THIS ARTICLE with your family and friends! 😀
- The Hugh Jackman X-Men Comic Robbery Hoax Debunked!
- Watch Out For This Maybank Personal Loan Scam!
- The Secret Of Coating Fried Food In Plastic Revealed!
- Dabbing : Does It Turn Teenagers Into Devil Worshippers?
- The Shanghai Disneyland Robot Dancer Hoax Debunked!
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked!
- The Famous Jesus Tree Of Lebanon Miracle Explained!
- The Canola Oil Bullshit By Anya Vien Debunked!
- The Zota Tissue Paper Tablet Scare – The Truth & Facts!
- Steve Jobs’ Last Words – The Hoax & The Truth!
- The Brazilian Pastor’s Holy Milk Hoax Debunked!
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Did Al Franken Get A Jew Call Warning Of 9/11 Attacks?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!