People are sharing tips on how to correctly wear a surgical mask. Unfortunately, most of such advice are wrong.
In this article, we will debunk a recent example (falsely) teaching people that there are two ways to wear a surgical mask, and teach you THE ONLY CORRECT WAY to wear a surgical mask.
Are There Two Ways To Wear A Surgical Mask?
This hoax claiming that there are TWO WAYS to wear a surgical mask has been spreading across the Internet, on blogs, Facebook and of course, WhatsApp.
Here is the hoax about how even doctors do not know how to properly wear a surgical / medical mask… grammatical mistakes and all.
I didn’t know about this before. I thought it would be helpful to share, Because I was using them wrong the entire time.
When using a medical mask you’re suppose to use as follows:
Colored side out if you’re sick and do not want to spread your germs around.
White side out (this is the filter part) for when you’re not sick and you want to stop germs from getting in.
I always just assumed the color (blue) side went outward.
The Nurse said the entire doctors office never knew either, until the supplier sent them “proper directions” for them this past week!
Hope this helps!
Well, NO, it does not help. In fact, this hoax will probably result in a lot of people stupidly wearing their surgical masks the wrong way…
No, There Is Only ONE WAY To Wear A Surgical Mask
Surgical masks are coloured on ONE SIDE to make it easy for medical staff to figure out which side FACES OUT.
Whether they are coloured blue, green or pink, the COLOURED SIDE is meant to face OUTWARDS.
If the mask you are using has no colour, then it is NOT a 3-ply surgical mask – just a simple 2-ply face mask that is meant to maintain hygiene in a clean room or kitchen.
The Filter Is Always The Middle Layer
The hoax falsely claims that the white layer is the filter.
A 3-ply surgical mask has three layers :
- an outer hydrophobic layer, which repels water, blood and body fluids,
- a middle filter layer that is designed to filter bacteria, and
- an inner hydrophilic layer, which absorbs water, sweat and spit
In a 2-ply face mask, both layers are usually made from the same material – fabric or polypropylene or other kinds of non-woven material. There is NO FILTER layer.
Recommended : Can Face Masks Protect Us Against The Flu / Influenza?
Recommended : Wuhan Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
Recommended : Wuhan Coronavirus : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
Why It’s Important To Wear A Surgical Mask Correctly
The middle filter works no matter which way you wear the surgical mask, so the hoax is complete hogwash.
However, wearing it the wrong way will reduce your comfort as you will be exhaling into the outer hydrophobic (water-repelling) layer, instead of the inner absorbent layer.
Those working with actual patients will want to wear it correctly too, because the outer water-repelling layer will help prevent blood and other bodily fluids from soaking through to the filter.
How To Wear A Surgical Mask Correctly
Here are some step-by-step instructions for wearing a surgical mask correctly :
- Clean your hands with soap and water, or hand sanitiser, before touching the mask
- Hold the mask so that the stiff bendable strip is on top, and the coloured side facing outwards.
- If the surgical mask has ear loops – hold the mask by the ear loops, and place a loop around each ear.
- If the surgical mask has ties – bring the mask to your nose and place the ties over the crown of your head, and secure by tying them in a bow.
- If the surgical mask has elastic bands – bring the mask to your nose and pull the top band over your head and let it rest on the crown of your head, and then pull the bottom strap over your head and let it rest on the nape of your neck.
- Mould or pinch the nose strip to conform to the shape of your nose.
- Pull the bottom of the surgical mask over your mouth and chin.
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Where To Buy 3-Ply Surgical Masks
Now, we have to point out that surgical masks cannot filter air pollution, especially the dangerous PM2.5 particulates. You need to use N95 respirators.
But surgical masks will filter out bacteria, and even tiny viruses like influenza. Just make sure they are proper 3-layer surgical masks, and not 2-ply hygiene face masks or fashion masks.
Here are some online purchase links :
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Hand Sanitiser or Soap? Which Is Better?
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Can Face Masks Protect Us Against The Flu / Influenza?
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
- Princeton University Warns Of Cancer Risk From Fridge Magnets
- Kinder Joy wax coating causes cancer?
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked
If you like our work, support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!