Climate change deniers keep promoting a picture of the USS Al Gore Global Warming Research Vessel completely frozen in ice. Their message – even nature disagrees with Al Gore!
Perhaps they meant it as a joke, but in this post-truth world, people are more likely to believe (and share) lies like this, than the actual truth. So, let’s debunk this hoax, and see what the facts really are.
The USS Al Gore Frozen Boat Hoax
Here are three examples of the USS Al Gore frozen boat hoax – one on Facebook, the other on a blog, and the last one on Reddit :
Needless to say, that’s not the USS Al Gore. But you will want to know – how the heck do we know that?
There Is No USS Al Gore
The USS Al Gore does not exist. The USS (United States Ship) designation is reserved for active commissioned ships of the US Navy. There has never been a ship named for former US Vice-President Al Gore.
Well, a FICTIONAL submersible aircraft carrier – the CVJ-01 USS Al Gore – was named after him, but I don’t suppose that counts… because it’s a SUBMARINE! 😀
That Is Not Bio-Solar One
Al Gore has a 100-foot houseboat that is powered by bio-diesel and solar panels, called Bio-Solar One. It was launched sometime in September 2008. Here, you can see it at the Hurricane Marina in Silver Point, Tennessee.
As you can see, the Bio-Solar One is not only the wrong shape, it is much… MUCH BIGGER in size, than the frozen boat.
USS Al Gore Is Actually The Frozen Boat Of Versoix
The picture those climate change deniers use was actually of a boat moored off Versoix, on the shores of Lake Geneva, Switzerland.
It was hit by an ice storm in 2005 – the freezing rain froze into a thick glaze of ice that covered not only this boat, but also vehicles, buildings and the streets.
This photo of the same boat was taken by a different photographer, Santiago Puig Viladomiu.
The date stamp is clear – this was taken on 28 January 2005 – more than 3.5 years before Al Gore’s Bio-Solar One houseboat was even launched.
For more photos on the ice storm that covered Versoix, you can read Wendy’s Journal.
If you find this post informative, SHARE it with your family and friends!
- The IMagery by Lesa Hall Photoshop Fail CONFIRMED!
- The Canola Oil Bullshit By Anya Vien Debunked!
- The Zota Tissue Paper Tablet Scare – The Truth & Facts!
- Why You Should NEVER Give Laser Pointers To Kids!
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- How To Wear A Surgical Mask – The Hoax & The Truth!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!