We were invited to Datuk Seri Dr. Shahidan Kassim‘s open house in Mutiara Damansara on the 25th of July, during which he held a small press conference. We were right at hand to record this video of Shahidan Kassim speaking about national security issues, including the recent ban on The Edge, Xavier Andre Justo, as well as border security issues like the Rohingyas and the UNHCR.
For your convenience, we added some English commentary to the video. Due to time constraints, we couldn’t add as many as we would like.
Key Points From This Press Conference
- On calls for leadership change, he says this should be handled by the ruling party.
- If there is to be changed, it should be handled through the “political structure“, not by “using the people“.
- Malaysia is not like Thailand, which changes government every six months.
- The government’s main job is to ensure a stable economy, so it has to act against people who threaten national security.
- Although he is not in charge of The Edge‘s issue, he agrees with any action against those who threaten national security.
- He will get more information on whether the ban on The Edge is justified (from Dato Seri Dr. Zahid Hamidi) during the cabinet meeting this coming Wednesday (the 29th of July, 2015).
- If The Edge is found to be telling the truth and not threatening national security, the government will “reveal the information”.
- He points out that the government has already appointed a special task force and everyone should trust it.
- Action is being taken against those who are wrong, one step at a time.
- He has an issue with UNHCR issuing UNHCR identification cards to all refugees without going through the proper channel, which includes registration with the Immigration Department.