Which should you use to keep your hands clean of the Wuhan coronavirus – a hand sanitiser or just soap and water?
Find out which is better against the Wuhan coronavirus – the convenient hand sanitiser, or good old soap and water!
Hand Sanitiser vs Soap : A Quick Summary
Here is a quick summary for those who just want to know what they should use :
- Where possible, wash your hands with soap and water
- When using soap and water, scrub your hands thoroughly with soap for at least 20 seconds before rinsing off with water
- Only if soap and water are not available, should you resort to a hand sanitiser
- Use a hand sanitiser with at least 60% alcohol – anything less will not kill microbes
- When using a hand sanitiser, rub it all over the surfaces of your hands until they dry completely
Here is a quick pictorial guide, courtesy of Quill.
Why Soap Is Better Than A Hand Sanitiser
Reason #1 : Soap Cleans Your Hands!
A hand sanitiser may kill germs, but soap removes bacteria and viruses, as well as dirt and grease, from your hands.
Soap also removes harmful chemicals like pesticides and heavy metals that you may have accidentally (and unknowingly) touched.
Reason #2 : Soap Removes Microbes That Hand Sanitisers Cannot Kill!
An alcohol-based hand sanitiser can quickly kill most germs on your hands, but there are certain microbes like Cryptosporidium, novovirus, and Clostridium difficile that it cannot effectively eliminate.
Washing your hands with soap and water is the only way to effectively get rid of those microbes.
This is why doctors and nurses wash their hands with soap and water instead of using a hand sanitiser, before performing surgeries.
Reason #3 : Hand Sanitisers Don’t Work Well On Dirty / Greasy Hands
Hand sanitisers work well in clinical settings like in a hospital, where your hands may come into contact with germs but are otherwise not dirty or greasy.
Their antimicrobial performance, however, is greatly reduced when used on dirty or greasy hands. That is why it is recommended that you wash your hands with soap where possible.
Recommended : Why Are People Wearing Water Bottles On Their Heads?
Bar Soap vs Liquid Soap : Which Is Better?
Using liquid soap is more hygienic because it is served from a sterile container. A bar soap, on the other hand, will harbour germs from previous users.
Of course, the germs from bar soap gets washed away with the germs on your hands, when you rinse your hands with water. So, using a bar soap is better than not using soap at all. But where possible, use liquid soap.
More importantly, learn how to properly wash your hands using this pictorial guide!
Hand Sanitiser : Still Useful Though!
Now, this doesn’t mean that hand sanitisers are useless. Where soap and water are not readily available, or convenient to use, a hand sanitiser will quickly kill microbes on your hands.
Just make sure you follow this guide, and thoroughly rub the hand sanitiser all over your hands until the gel or alcohol dries up.
Hand Sanitiser : Alcohol Or Alcohol-FREE?
For a hand sanitiser to be effective at killing a significant amount of microbes, it needs to have an alcohol content of 60% to 95%.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the World Health Organisation (WHO), recommend using alcohol-based hand sanitisers over any other type of hand sanitiser.
This is partly because non-alcohol hand sanitisers use an antibiotic like Triclosan or Triclocarban, which not only exacerbate antibiotic resistance, but may also cause health problems with long-term use.
It is true that alcohol-based hand sanitiser can dry out your hands. But many alcohol-based hand sanitisers now include moisturisers to prevent that. Here are some options you can buy online :
- Deb Instant FOAM (70%) : 250 ml | 400 ml | 2 Pack + Dispenser | Refill / Dispenser
- Dettol Hand Sanitiser (69.4%) : 50 ml | 50 ml | 200 ml | 200 ml | 200 ml
- Hovid QuicKlean (70%) : 50 ml | 120 ml | 720 ml | 720 ml
- PURELL Advanced (70%) : 236 ml | 354 ml | 591 ml
- Saraya Alsoft Pure (70%) : 500 ml | 500 ml | 1 L
- Saraya Smart San Sanitiser A S-4 (65%) : 5 L | 5 L
- SeptiSilk (79%) : 500 ml | 500 ml
- 3M Avagard (70%) : 500 ml
- Deb Instant FOAM (70%) : 400 ml | 1 L + Dispenser
- Dettol Hand Sanitiser (69.4%) : 50 ml
- Lifebuoy Hand Sanitiser (95%) : 50 ml | 50 ml | 50 ml
- PURELL Advanced (70%) : 236 ml | 354 ml | 591 ml
- Amazon Solimo (70%) : 67.59 fl oz | 8 fl oz x 6 | 32 fl oz x 4
- Barbicide (70%) : 16 oz
- Dettol Hand Sanitiser (69.4%) : 50 ml | 200 ml | 200 ml
- Germ-X (63%) : 10 fl oz | 7 fl oz x 6 | 8 fl oz x 6 | 30 fl oz x 4
- Safetec Instant (66.5%) : 4 oz x 6
- PURELL Advanced (70%) : 8 fl oz | 8 fl oz x 2 | 12 fl oz x 2 | 12 fl oz x 3 |
- Clinell (70%) : 50 ml | 50 ml x 5 | 50 ml x 10
- Deb Instant FOAM (70%) : 47 ml | 47 ml x 12 | 1 L
- HypaClean (70%) : 50 ml | 500 ml | 1 L + Dispenser
- PURELL Advanced (70%) : 300 ml | 300 ml x 2 | 300 ml x 3 | 500 ml |
- Dettol Hand Sanitiser (69.4%) : 200 ml
- PURELL Advanced (70%) : 8 oz | 8 oz | 8 oz x 2
- Livingstone (75%) : 70 ml | 500 ml | 1 L | 20 L
If you are concerned about dry skin, just apply some moisturiser after rubbing the alcohol-based hand sanitiser dry on your hands.
- Stop Blaming Snakes For The Wuhan Coronavirus!
- H1N1 American Pandemic Virus Hoax Debunked!
- Why Are People Wearing Water Bottles On Their Heads?
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- Can Face Masks Protect Us Against The Flu / Influenza?
- How To Wear A Surgical Mask – The Hoax & The Truth!
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- New Nestle NANKID OPTIPRO Details + Sale!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
- Princeton University Warns Of Cancer Risk From Fridge Magnets
- Kinder Joy wax coating causes cancer?
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked
If you like our work, support us by visiting our sponsors, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!